Breastfeeding/bottles PIOG

I plan to breastfeed my baby (due in July) but I figure I should buy/register for bottles as well. I just bought one of the Avent 4 oz ones so I could try it out....How often do you breastfeeding moms actually use bottles? How many do you think I'll need, and what sizes? They are so expensive! Also, how often do you change the nipple?

LittleMonster22

Asked by LittleMonster22 at 12:12 AM on May. 8, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i use bottles all the time . my daughter has trouble latching on so i pump and bottle it ,
    i personally use the 4 oz playtex drop in liner bottles. that way i can get as much air out as i can .
    my aughter seems to really like the nipple on it to because it is big so it is like when she does get on my breast , instead those little nipples ya know lol
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 12:14 AM on May. 8, 2009

• I only bought 2 or 3 bottles, and I bought those at the second hand stores. I, also, bought new nipples to replace the ones that were used by someone else's child. They didn't cost as much as the new bottles did. I didn't use bottles too often. I only had to change nipples when each of my babies would get frustrated because they couldn't get enough fast enough. (I didn't have to change nipples but once or twice.) They needed nipples with larger holes.
    dustbunny

Answer by dustbunny at 12:24 AM on May. 8, 2009

• My daughter is about to turn a year and I have never given her a bottle. Never needed one. You can keep bottles around, but avoid using them until breast feeding is well established (3 mos or so) and don't keep ANY formula in the house. It's a bit of a temptation, especially in the early days when some moms have a little difficulty adjusting to breastfeeding. The hospital sent a can home and I was sorely tempted to use it when my daughter was crying because she wanted my milk to come in and it hadn't yet (day 2, milk came in day 3).

Join La Leche League! totally worth it :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:59 AM on May. 8, 2009

• It all depends on YOU and what's going on in your life. SAHM? You likely will never use a bottle except when you're out. Working? Then you need enough for a day's worth of feedings. Say about four or five.

As to the nipples...you will always use the newborn, nothing else, in order to avoid nipple confusion.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:21 AM on May. 8, 2009

• i use a bottle becuz i work but i have my son at work with me which is cool but if u arent going back to work or anything then u dont need any but if u get some idk i have like 5 4oz bottles and 5 8 oz bottles but i wouldnt get any tell u know what kind ur baby likes my son likes this weird nipple and my first son liked the plain little ones
    Lacrisha

Answer by Lacrisha at 12:09 PM on May. 8, 2009