My 2.5 year old, will not sleep with out the lamp in her room on,

she crys and says she is scred and there are monsters, what do i do?

MammaSherry

Asked by MammaSherry at 12:31 AM on May. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Leave the lamp on for her, or get her a night light. My son is almost 8 and still has a night light. It's not that big a deal.
    debra_benge

Answer by debra_benge at 12:32 AM on May. 8, 2009

• I agree. There's a lamp in my dd's room mainly b/c if I have to go in there in the middle of the night I won't trip over something.
    NicMorgan

Answer by NicMorgan at 12:34 AM on May. 8, 2009

• I would et her have it on and then once she is asleep turn it off. Maybe you can go to IKEA and get one of those cute soft low light shapes for her they may be wasier to fall asleep with on. I heard blue light helps you sleep!
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 12:34 AM on May. 8, 2009

• I have put a night light in there but she gets even more scared, its the shadows, so that is why i leave the lamp on, shee seems to be doing better, should i do it untill she feels comfortable.
    MammaSherry

Answer by MammaSherry at 12:34 AM on May. 8, 2009

• I am afraid of the dark. I am grown. I have to sleep with the hall light on at all times.
    akmami0f4

Answer by akmami0f4 at 12:37 AM on May. 8, 2009

• Get her a guardian. When my daughter first started talking about monsters, I got a stuffed dragon (a cute one) and told her that her dragon would growl at any monsters and then bite them. I then made a point of stating that Gleep was doing a great job, that I hadn't seen any monsters in the house since he arrived. Within days, the monsters were gone. She still sometimes will tell me about Gleep's job, describe how he will bite any monsters he sees, growl and chase them but I always just repeat that he does a great job and I never see any monsters with him around.

Another option if a portable night light like these:
    http://www.amazon.com/MOBI-70163-Mobi-TykeLight-Pink/dp/B001EUCXR8/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=baby-products&qid=1241757825&sr=8-2
    Your daughter can actually sleep with this in her arms - there are no exposed electrical contacts.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:46 AM on May. 8, 2009

• i have to scare the monsters away every night, actually i don't "daddy bear" does b/c my dh is deployed and she doesn't think mommy's are good "monster scarers" (this is from her) so we bought a giant teddy bear and dh "taught" the bear how to scare the monsters so he can do it til daddy comes home. everywhere she points out monsters are areas that have stuffed animals or are darker when the light goes out b/c they are pictures, so its more the shadowy areas she can't see. she has a nightlight but is fine when we scare them away. we just say "you scary monsters go away and let victoria go to sleep" she thinks its funny and i will hear her every once in awhile going "scary monsters go away let me go to sleep" we tried the stuffed animal who had that job but it didn't work for her, she said he turned into a monster too. and i tried the "monster spray" (fill a water bottle w/water and spray the monsters) and she didn't like
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 12:58 AM on May. 8, 2009

• that either. so i think just play around til you find out what works best for her to "get rid of" the monsters and just stick with that until she doesn't need it anymore. if nothing works and it ends up being the lamp on all night, get a lower watt bulb and a "nightlight" style lamp. it still plugs into the wall but it takes a 40 watt instead of a 60 so its not as bright.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 1:00 AM on May. 8, 2009

• my daughter has also always slept with a light on..shes 5..her light is on a dimmer, so i leave it on really low, but bright enuff so shes comfortable with it..ive tied turning it off in the middle of the night when i go to bed, but then she wakes up and starts crying..so..i leave it on..no harm done!!

another thing you could try, that my sister did with her kids, because they were both scared of monsters, was she got a bottle of febreeze, and made a label for it saying something like "monsters -b-gone" and every night before the kids went to bed, she sprayed it so the monsters would stay away...and it made the rooms smell nice :) that worked great for her kids!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 3:49 AM on May. 8, 2009