Feeding time: how do you discourage unwanted behavior?

My 8 month old son has started some "bad" habits while eating... smacking his hand on the table repeatedly and screaming when he wants more or when I briefly walk away. I've been working on the sign language gesture for "more" to no avail (my husband and I have been signing to him for many things since he was 2 months). Should I tell him "no" when he does these things or just ignore them in hopes that they will pass?

vixenmama

Asked by vixenmama at 12:39 AM on May. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i would tell him no than just ignore it. i think he's old enough to start to learn words so if you tell him no and walk away he'll realize that its not something he gets a response to aside from you telling him no
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 12:48 AM on May. 8, 2009

• I would ignore an 8 mo. olds tantrums really, they are just infants but maybe around 14 months you can start a sharp scold and smack his bottem IMO. He will hopefully catch on....
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 12:43 AM on May. 8, 2009