When will my 8 month old son start using sign language?

My husband and I have been signing to our son since he was 2 months old, very consistently. He seems to understand many of the signs (like "change diaper" and "Mommy" and "Daddy", etc) but has not made any attempt that I can tell to sign back. When do babies start to use sign language to communicate?

vixenmama

Asked by vixenmama at 12:43 AM on May. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It just depends on your child. I think my son was around 10 months when he signed for the first time. And after that, he was signing like crazy. Just stick with it. I believe it is so worth it.
    jkt747

Answer by jkt747 at 1:52 AM on May. 8, 2009

• show him the full moon tonight and do the sign for it. My son is 14 months and loves to look for the moon and babble about it and does the sign for it. See what 'his interests are this way? Maybe he likes counting or singing with a paper towel holder mine does!,lol
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 12:46 AM on May. 8, 2009

• I was going to teach my daughter how to do this but didnt get to do it. For "Mimi" (my mom) she hits her chest. We didn't mean to teach her this but everytime my mom would say Mimi she would touch her chest so now that's what my daughter does. She's 15 months. Just keep working with your little one and you'll be glad you did when he starts doing it back.
    Kenzies_mama

Answer by Kenzies_mama at 12:47 AM on May. 8, 2009

• It really varies. My daughter didn't until nearly 12 months.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:56 AM on May. 8, 2009

• I didn't start with with my DD until right after her first birthday. By 13 1/2 months she did her first sign, which was fish. After a few days of pointing out every fish shaped thing in her line of sight, she started picking them up like crazy. A few in one day sometimes. :) It really is like a lil light gets switched on.

I think in my book it said if you start really early like that, you could see the first sign around 8-9 months. Don't worry! It will just happen one day, probably pretty soon!
    soldierswifey05

Answer by soldierswifey05 at 12:57 AM on May. 8, 2009