Is there really substantial savings in using cloth diapers?

My son is now 8 months old; he has worn disposables since birth. Now that his diapers aren't so scary and get changed less frequently, I am considering using cloth for both environmental and financial reasons. I've seen different studies on the cost comparison of disposable vs. cloth, and the results seem all over the board. Any thoughts?

vixenmama

Asked by vixenmama at 12:46 AM on May. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I just switched to cloth and my daughter will be a year in two weeks. The savings is substantial. It's a bigger up front investment, but you have to think... these diapers aren't going into landfills and they can often be used for more than one child. They do need to be changed more often than disposables, but they shouldn't stink if you wash them right.

check out www.diaperjungle.com for some good info :)
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 12:54 AM on May. 8, 2009

• I used cloth till my son was about 6 months and they are(stinky) hard to keep sitting around your house(diaper service) plus his bladder would flood it by now,IMO
    Price wise I think disposable are cheaper too! It is cute though!!!! and they are so snuggy in them when they are little infants maybe try it out on your next one early in the game.
    2mothershelpers

Answer by 2mothershelpers at 12:50 AM on May. 8, 2009

• it depends on the route you go. prefolds and covers can be super cheap and will definitely save you lots of money. if you use pockets or all-in-ones, they will probably be about the same, especially since you aren't starting from birth. they make one-size diapers that fit from birth through potty training, those could save you money too
    llansky

Answer by llansky at 12:53 AM on May. 8, 2009

• thats a good point. i have 2 kids in cloth diapers, and i can use the ones my toddler is wearing on the younger baby once my toddler has outgrown them. they still work great!
    llansky

Answer by llansky at 12:57 AM on May. 8, 2009

• Cloth is less, especially if you have more than one child and get them used. You can find them at second hand shops, ebay, craigslist; I see them every couple of weeks on freecycle.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:11 AM on May. 8, 2009

• Keep in mind that with cloth they can be used on multiple kids! Mine have been through 3 kids now and are currenlty being put on #4. That makes them substantially cheaper then sposies. Someitmes you can get them on ebay (issues with used underwear policy at times they remove listings) and also try diaperswappers.com for used ones. I used fitteds until my kids were getting more solild poop and then I went with prefolds folded in thirds and laid in a tight fitting cover. Also the cost of disposables depends on how early or late your LO potty trains. With cloth that last size will last from about 18 months until they potty train for most kids so the age of potty training doesn't much matter.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:27 AM on May. 8, 2009