What do I do when my in-law's 11 year old daughter gets on my 5 & 3 year old girls?

My husband's 11 year old sister is constantly getting on my 5 & 3 year old daughter, even yelling at them at times. I have no stopped sitting back, and have got on her about it, because her parents refuse to correct her. But my father-in-law has asked my husband why I'm always on Niki, the 11 year old. Mind you this girl acts as if she is 5 herself at times. I need help, because I'm going absolutely nuts. I'm the bad guy, but all I"m trying to do is defend my daughter against their daughter's bullying. Thanks for reading ladies.

Sarah2116

Asked by Sarah2116 at 1:34 AM on May. 8, 2009 in General Parenting

• If you are certain you aren't being biased, then sit down with your husband and your inlaws and explain your concerns. If they aren't willing to help you keep your keeps from being bullied by their aunt, then perhaps your children don't need to be there. I would exhaust every other option first though. Are you husband and sister close? Have him talk to her about why she acts that way toward the kids. She isn't much older in reality, perhaps it is a jealousy issue, especially if they are the first grandkids and she was the baby for 6 years before the grandkids came along.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 1:44 AM on May. 8, 2009

• no my husband and his little sister are not that close. She is like this with my nephew jacob as well who is the same age as my 3 year old. her parents don't really discipline her at all, and allow her to say whatever she wants. When we told her I was expecting baby number 4 she ranted and raved how we didn't need another baby, and why did we get pregnant again, and her parents didn't even bat an eye when she said it either. I think she does it because they are younger than she is, so of course being older I guess means being the boss, but its getting bad, to the point to where I'm not wanting to go over to the in-laws, mind you we live next door.
    Sarah2116

Answer by Sarah2116 at 1:58 AM on May. 8, 2009