ugh, EMBARRASSING!

me, my boyfriend, and my 2yr old son went out to eat at a restaurant my mom waitresses at. my mom was slow so she was carrying my son around playing with him. then she started getting busy so she tried handing him back to me and he FREAKED! kicking his legs, making his body stiff, and screaming at the top of his lungs. everyone was staring at us in disapproval and i was completely embarrassed, especially because i've experienced the same with other children and i know how annoying it gets. i didn't even know what to do with him as a form of punishment because i couldn't even hear myself talking as he was screaming. how can i prevent this in the future??

exxOHjackie

Asked by exxOHjackie at 1:36 AM on May. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my friend has a very active little boy that used to almost all the time throws a fit when we go eat in restaurants.. anyhow when he starts she takes him outside for a moment and lets him scream then she tells him his punishment like no toys for the rest of the day and no dessert etc and when they come back i see that he is sad but quiet =)
    glossyblack

Answer by glossyblack at 1:46 AM on May. 8, 2009

• pick him and walk out of the restaruant. that way nobody else can see and u are not so embarassed. then wait for him to calm down and talk to him about it..and explain. if he does it again go to the car and punish him...whether it be spanking or timeout...whatever your choices are. leave the bf inside, that way they know u are coming back. we took my son outside once...now all we have to say is "do we need to go to the car?"
    RhiannonHunt

Answer by RhiannonHunt at 1:47 AM on May. 8, 2009

• Does it work, becasue my son throw an all out fit when he doesn't get what he wants. He screams and slaps himself in the head, what do I do? He mainly does it at home but sometimes he does it in public and people look at me with that disapproval. Help!!!!!!!
    Latinamom345

Answer by Latinamom345 at 1:50 AM on May. 8, 2009

• I would have taken him outside till he calmed down and told him that grandma was busy but she will play with him again later.next time bring a toy or something to keep him busy.Also if I were u I would break him and grandma of the habit of her playing with him while she is working so it would not happen again it will get harder and more embarrassing as he gets older.I'm not being mean but that is what I would have done
    momangel05

Answer by momangel05 at 1:53 AM on May. 8, 2009

• taking him out of the situation and giving them a chance to cool down usually works for my son. i know every kid is different, but supernanny usually says take em to the car too, so i can t be too wrong..lol!! I jsut try and rememebr that the people starting must not have kids or its been awhile, because every other parent will understand. every kid does it atleast a few times!
    RhiannonHunt

Answer by RhiannonHunt at 2:04 AM on May. 8, 2009

• For resturants, you have to remember that other people are paying good money to have a quiet meal. No matter what resturant, order take home boxes at the same time as you order the food and request the check. Be prepared to pack everything up, pay and leave quickly. It may help to take him outside for a time out but be prepared to leave.

For stores, simply put him in time out right then and there.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:15 PM on May. 8, 2009