When bringing a dish for a pot luck what is your tried and true dish?

I have been going to quite a few barbeques lately and I am at a loss at what to bring. I am a person that almost always brings desserts and I am desserted out. It always seems like when we show up that is what ninety percent of those attending bring. It must be frustrating for the person hosting to make a meat and only have desserts to go along with it. So as I was walking through the aisles at the local grocery store I was at a total loss as to what to bring. So what do you bring? It seems like everyone specializes in one thing? When you choose do you try to be neutral so that it will hopefully be something that the majority will enjoy? If children will be present do you try to bring more child friendly, less messy meals? Just looking for some good ideas!

Melbornj

Asked by Melbornj at 1:37 AM on May. 8, 2009 in Food & Drink

• Thank you so much for all of the responses, it actually made me hubgary reading them. There are some great ideas on here that will help me rotate the things that I make. I have a group of friends that I get together with regularly and I would like to switch things up and make something different and these were the ideas that I need to jumpstart that.

Would love to hear some more suggestions!!
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 5:24 PM on May. 8, 2009

• Potato salad. I secretly stole my mother's recipe. I got busted though because I brought it to a potluck that she was also invited to attend and she brought potato salad. She wasn't mad, we both laughed. Both dishes were gone by the end of the dinner.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 1:41 AM on May. 8, 2009

• pickle wraps (aka frog eyes). everyone loves them...they go very quickly! pickles sliced and wrapped in ham and cream cheese. some people use dried beef too
    RhiannonHunt

Answer by RhiannonHunt at 1:44 AM on May. 8, 2009

• also not messy and no dishes cuz u can use a papy plate or something else disposable
    RhiannonHunt

Answer by RhiannonHunt at 1:45 AM on May. 8, 2009

• Spinach dip.
    richgirljj

Answer by richgirljj at 1:50 AM on May. 8, 2009

• The only pot luck I go to is my family reunion and I usually bring a main dish because everyone else brings sides and then the poor hosts (last few years it has been my cousin and his wife) are stuck trying to come up with enough hotdogs and hamburgers for 50 people.
    In the end it just depends on what I'm in the mood to make. I usually do a slow cooker meal because we live 4 hours away. My aunt usually makes really yummy poppy seed sandwiches (they are ham, turkey, corned beef sandwiches on dinner rolls with a poppy seed/butter/mustard mixture spread on them--they are really good).
    My mom was always in charge of the shrimp salad and the potato salad. Everyone was devastated when she died for the loss of her salads, lol (not really but everyone misses her potato salad).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:20 AM on May. 8, 2009

• I try doing different things. Some of my favorites are...
    Deviled Eggs
    Pasta Salad
    Smashed Potato salad
    Fruit Salad
    Rebecca727

Answer by Rebecca727 at 9:15 AM on May. 8, 2009

• Homemade salsa

Spinach Articoke Dip

ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 9:51 AM on May. 8, 2009

• Pasta salad or salsa.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:34 AM on May. 8, 2009

• Crock Pot - Mac and Cheese
    Cookie1124

Answer by Cookie1124 at 11:57 AM on May. 8, 2009