Is it safe to breastfeed while taking zoloft?

This may seem ridiculous to ask this now because I have been breastfeeding my son for 7mos & taking zoloft but honestly I was assured by several doctors it was okay...They prescribed them to me for post partum depression & I refused for awhile until I got really bad & agreed to take it. Now my father just found out im taking it & started freaking me out w/horror stories! My son has very bad constipation issues & my dad is convinced zoloft might play a role through the breastmilk? Im really worried now that I may have/might damage his health/well being? Im sure its probably unrelated but my sis took zoloft during her entire pregnancy ( I took it after I gave birth ) & my neice is blind in one eye & recently started having seizures so it does get me thinking!?....what are your thoughts/opinions? my luck zoloft will be recalled & commercials for settlements will be pasted to the television set....

whispers2005

Asked by whispers2005 at 1:54 AM on May. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• zoloft is not safe to take period. it is a temporary releif type of med. when you stop taking it all your symptoms will come right back and if you forget to take it you will fall asleep or be very drowsy. i took it for 2 years when i was about 15 yrs old. now i take lemon balm, it's an herb in capsule form. i have panic attacks and as soon as i started taking this it stopped them completely, i even tested it and stopped taking it for 6 months and i had about 1/3 as many as i was having before. doctors don't tell you about herbs because they are not taught to sell herbs, they are taught to sell meds that you have to take for the rest of your life. those meds are not good for your organs and have long term negative side effects. herbs have no negative side effects.
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 12:41 PM on May. 8, 2009

• http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/antidepressants-hale10-02.html#Zoloft Sounds good to me.
    bluelady27

Answer by bluelady27 at 2:01 AM on May. 8, 2009

• Well, sounds like the best route for you, I should say. If doctors recommended it for you, it is probably more beneficial for you and your baby and the benefits outweigh the risks. I wouldn't stress over it too much.
    bluelady27

Answer by bluelady27 at 2:02 AM on May. 8, 2009

• i took zoloft while pregnant and my son is perfectly fine.... i have a friend who didnt take anything during pregnancy and her son has seizures so im sure zoloft is not the culprit! im sorry hon :[
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:03 AM on May. 8, 2009

• YES. Absolutely safe.

Answer by gdiamante at 2:05 AM on May. 8, 2009

• yes, I'm taking it for PPD and am BFing. my Dr has assured me, too, that it's the safest anti-depressant to take while pregnant and/or breastfeeding.
    Kat770

Answer by Kat770 at 8:34 AM on May. 8, 2009

• It's perfectly fine per my midwife! Don't worry :)
    Kaitlyn0816

Answer by Kaitlyn0816 at 11:44 AM on May. 8, 2009

• I took it for a brief period for PPD, but it did horrible things to my GI system! Symptoms similar to IBS... (I ended up having to stop breastfeeding due to my son needing hypoallergenic formula) however, my OB had been part of the researched team for studies on Zoloft. She said it was at the highest concentration in your body 8 hours after you take it, and I could pump & dump at that time if I wanted to, but still reassured me that it wouldn't harm my son.
    mevxoxo

Answer by mevxoxo at 2:05 PM on May. 8, 2009