Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

custody of a younger sibling

I'm 22 years old, have 2 boys, have my own place and am very responsible. my 15 year old sister doesn't want to live with her alcoholic abusive father or our alcoholic mother and her alcoholic boyfriend. My sister really wants me to get custody of her. where would i even begin to start a custody process?

Answer Question

Asked by SpringMommy07 at 2:01 AM on May. 8, 2009 in Adoption

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (6)
  • Probably family court? Does she have a social worker assigned to her?

    Answer by ap9902 at 9:50 AM on May. 8, 2009

  • I've no idea but I truly hope you manage it. Go big Sis.

    Answer by onethentwins at 10:49 AM on May. 8, 2009

  • Start with social services. They can help you out. The other option is to hire an attorney and see if you can have both parents sign off on something giving you legal guardianship. They may very well be willing to do that in order to not be responsible for her any longer especially if you don't request child support. Have you or anyone ever approached them about this? The one thing you will need to consider is insurance. Can you add her to yours or can she get on Medicaid? Accidents happen.

    Are you prepared in case she needs counseling? If she has suffered abuse she may need the special help. You can love her all she needs but sometimes it takes someone else to help them heal.

    Best of luck with everything.

    Answer by baconbits at 3:05 PM on May. 8, 2009

  • Family court - your sister can also pursue legal emancipation at her age as well. Their are GAL's Guardian Ad Litem's and CASA's Court Appointed Special Advocates who will assist your sister (and you) to get her out of a situation that she does not wish to be in.

    Best of luck - know that many older siblings have successfully stepped in to help out their brothers and sisters in similar situations. Good for you!

    Answer by PortAngeles1969 at 3:21 PM on May. 8, 2009

  • I'd go to your solicitor and find out from there

    Answer by MommaandStepMom at 9:06 AM on May. 9, 2009

  • my little sister lives with me...because my mom is very irresponsible...try to get your lil sis out of her school...they could help you

    Answer by brisa1984 at 7:45 PM on May. 10, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.