What to do? What to do? Needs advice!

Recently my boyfriend, me and our son were given the opportunity to move to my grandpas house for free. He lives 5 hours from us. Most of my husbands family lives where we live now and hes not wanting to let it go. I have been away from my family for 3 years now. My husband just got laid off and he can't find any work where we live. The move would be to Springfield. There has got to be a lot more jobs up there. The rent is due and so is the car payment. We have enough money for both but nothing else. My grandpa was going to come down here with a u-haul and pack up all our stuff without charge. I don't know what to say to him to make him go with us. I don't have a car or a job. I don't want to threaten him but what am I suppose to say? Child support? Break up? WHAT?!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:13 AM on May. 8, 2009 in Money & Work

• I would just tell him that it's not going to be permanent. You need a place to go to save up some money and find jobs. you can't afford to stay where you are.

And if he still says no, maybe just tell him, Ok-me and our son are going. You can stay here or come with us.

LoniRae89

Answer by LoniRae89 at 2:16 AM on May. 8, 2009

• i would give him an ultimatum.. im willing to live far away from my family so we can be together BUT you have find a job in the next 2 weeks or 2 jobs if thats what it takes to cover our expenses otherwise we will be moving to grandpa and you have the option to either join us or stay here with your family/
    glossyblack

Answer by glossyblack at 2:18 AM on May. 8, 2009

• So your boyfriend is resisting? Has he said WHY? Is it because of his family?

Five hours is nothing, really. He can still see them, absolutely no reason why not.

Have you already done some searching for jobs in Springfield? Check out Indeed.com; it's a great search engine. If he sees a good job there, he may be more willing.

Considering your financial situation, it seems you'd be foolish not to take the offer. Tell him pride has no place in this equation. You and your child can't eat pride.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:40 AM on May. 8, 2009

• Boyfriend and husband?

Answer by rkoloms at 9:36 AM on May. 8, 2009

• He may feel he's "failed" as a provider and SO and father if he admits you all have to move. So rather than demand you move with your grandfather, take him there for a weekend, and show him the town. Show him how many jobs are available in the area, etc. And that there is so much more opportunity there. Show him the prices of homes in the area, so you can both work out how long it will take to get a job in that town, and save up to get a place. Make him see that Grandpas place is a very temporary gift, and you'll soon be on your own again, rather than loosing it all.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:00 AM on May. 8, 2009