a question for moms who have already gone through labor and delivery

with all the pain associated with actually giving birth how long does it take after baby has come out for the pain to subside? does it go away immediately or does it linger for awhile?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:26 AM on May. 8, 2009 in Pregnancy

• When I was pregnant with my first, I was so afraid of how much it was going to hurt to have a baby come out of my body. I learned very quickly that for me, that isn't the intense part at all...it's the contractions. The good thing is that I have zero pain between contractions so I can just take them one wave at a time. As for perineal pain after birth, I had an episiotomy with my 1st and would have pain if I sat wrong for about a week. With my others, I did not get cut and really didn't tear so I would say I had no pain really.
    MamaJen74

Answer by MamaJen74 at 10:42 AM on May. 8, 2009

• With all 3 of my kids, the pain was gone almost immediately. Although, after my second on like the fifth day or so, my whole body was sore, like I had just started to work out.
    LolosMom

Answer by LolosMom at 2:32 AM on May. 8, 2009

• If you go through drug free, the rush of hormones is great. You feel pretty energized. I was sore a few hours afterwards and that lasted for about a week, but it wasn't unbearable. Some people who have pain meds have complications or tearing so that would be uncomfortable and those hormones are blocked so you don't get that instant pain relief and euphoria.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:50 AM on May. 8, 2009

• I had natural, med free, intervention free biths and other then a little sore because I tore with both I was wonderful afterwards. It was a little sore to walk, but the pain went away immediately due to the hormone rush and the soreness didn't show up until about 12 hours later.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:20 AM on May. 8, 2009

• It goes away really really fast. Once you clear the head. Its all down hill from there. I did it will all four. If you are going to do it drug free that is all you got to remember. As soon as it comes out I am good. You might have a little tiny cramping. But once you have a child with no drugs believe stuff will not hurt as bad to you anymore.
    akmami0f4

Answer by akmami0f4 at 8:50 AM on May. 8, 2009

• I felt "cheated" out of my birthing process. I had to have an emergency c-section. My cervix was too damaged from the scarring of cancer and I couldn't push my baby out without running the risk is internal bleeding. I am jealous of the mothers who got to have vaginal deliveries. But I try to remember I have been through things other mothers haven't that prevent me from having that kind of delivery. So this pregnancy will have to be a c-section too. I already checked. I asked for a vbac and was denied. Too much scarring and again...runs the risk of obliterating my cervix and might not be able to save the baby and I. So c-sections for me.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 9:03 AM on May. 8, 2009

• I gave birth naturally and I tore a little bit. I was sore for a short time, but it hurt less than a UTI if you have ever had one of those. I felt sore for a few days but it really wasn't bad. The most painful thing after giving birth is the nurses coming in and pushing on your uterus. That hurts :)
    YzmaRocks

Answer by YzmaRocks at 9:11 AM on May. 8, 2009

• The actual pain of labor went away as soon as he was out (really once his head was out I don't remember any more pain). Walking around was slightly uncomfortable, but really the only pain pain I had after my son was from the episiotomy, and I will opt to never have that done again! Really though, as soon as the baby comes out, the real pain is gone. It's almost instant and everything from there on out is a dull ache.
    kitten_shuga

Answer by kitten_shuga at 9:13 AM on May. 8, 2009