Whats a good way to breastfeed and feed your baby solids?

How often do i feed my 6 and half month old solids and breastfeed i dont know what im doing and dont know how to go about it

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:37 AM on May. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I started out by giving my son one meal a day with solids, lunch, and breastfeeding him the rest of the day. He wouldn't eat his solids well if I nursed him ahead of time so I nursed him afterwards. That worked well for us. As he got older, I added in supper, then breakfast and much later on snacks. Now he is almost 13 months, eats three solid meals and a snack each day and I still nurse in between when he asks. His first food was banana and he loved it!
    YzmaRocks

Answer by YzmaRocks at 9:07 AM on May. 8, 2009

• Always nurse before giving any solids. If he takes a teaspoon of solids that's perfectly all right. Your milk is the important meal. Solids are merely dessert. He cannot get too little solids. He CAN get too little breastmilk if you put solids first.

Answer by gdiamante at 3:36 AM on May. 8, 2009

• Remember, solids the first year are for the experience of eating, not nutrition. Avocado is a great first food, filled with lots of good fats for babies growing brains. Baked sweet potato is another nutritional powerhouse. Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron is a great book on feeding babies and toddlers; you should be able to find it at your local library; more information at www.superbabyfood.com

Answer by rkoloms at 5:59 AM on May. 8, 2009

• I always nurse my son first and then will offer him solids within the next thirty minutes to an hour afterwards. The amount he eats varies from day to day, but I don't concern myself with how much solid food he gets, I concern myself with his milk consumption since that is to be his primary source of nutrition for the first year. Avocado was his first food and he will eat just about anything if I mix it with a little avocado. When I'm introducing a new food I try to do it early in the day, just in case he could have a reaction. Other than that I give him solids sometime between 10 and 12 just depending and then again between 6 and 7. I would guess that at this point he averages about one 2.5 ounce jar a day. Sometimes more, sometimes less. I make most of his babyfood at home. Beware, once you introduce solids all the grandparents and everyone else it seems will be overly concerned with how much solids he's eating.
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 9:30 AM on May. 8, 2009