antidepressants...

are they safe when you are pregnant?

dlepasti

Asked by dlepasti at 2:42 AM on May. 8, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Supposedly there is a safe list of anti-depressants you can take during pregnancy consult w/your doctor or pharmacist. I take anti-depressants now ( zoloft ) during breastfeeding & im concerned myself....During pregnancy for me personally I stayed away from ANY type of drugs...I even stopped taking my heart medication by choice because I just dont trust it 100%. To many lawsuits/warnings out there for everything....Better to not take anything unless absolutely necessary for your childs benefit...Im stopping my zoloft by my own decision...good luck!
    whispers2005

Answer by whispers2005 at 3:19 AM on May. 8, 2009

• some are...you should talk to your dr about it (you should never take any medication without to ok from doc first)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:20 AM on May. 8, 2009

• The doctor had offered them to me, my SIL and BIL are pharmacists and they say its ok just not recommended... I just dont know what to do :(
    dlepasti

Answer by dlepasti at 3:22 AM on May. 8, 2009

• I ended up getting on anti-depressants at around 35 weeks pregnant. They can't really tell you if it will harm your fetus or not, as no studies are done, as they won't risk doing studies if something were to harm the baby. You have to way the benefits & risks. If there are more benefits, and your later on in your pregnancy, it shouldn't harm your baby. I have read tho, that the baby could have withdrawals of the meds when born.
    Ari0825

Answer by Ari0825 at 4:02 PM on May. 8, 2009

• I was on Paxil, then switched to Prozac. I was on a low dosage of Prozac & my dr. said it would be all right. My son was born with no problems & no withdrawl symptoms.
    JLee07

Answer by JLee07 at 6:05 PM on May. 8, 2009