Did you receive an epidural during labor?

If so, did it work? what other if any types of pain relief did you use?

whispers2005

Asked by whispers2005 at 3:24 AM on May. 8, 2009 in Pregnancy

• My labor was induced & I was in labor 3 days! day almost 2 I asked for a shot of pain meds & I had a scary allergic reaction that felt difficult to breathe...the next day I had a epidural which worked amazingly for the first half the day then it started to only work on 1 side of my body ( I think because I was forced to lay on my side due to drop in babys heart rate )..then it eventually wore off by day 3 I was a wreck! the last 12hrs were loooong & painful...I thought I would actually die from pain! I went hours w/nothing before finally accepting laughing gas which hardly/barely took a edge off....Of coarse it was all worth it but still miserable to go through....
    whispers2005

Answer by whispers2005 at 3:33 AM on May. 8, 2009

• Oh, yeah. It worked. But I wouldn't do one again. I wouldn't do any of the interventions again; they set us up for a sleepy baby who would not eat.

Relief from a brief period of pain was NOT worth the weeks of struggles we had after birth. Never again. (Not that I'm ever having another baby anyway...and there's another reason for no meds. I actually remember next to nothing of the birth thanks to them.)

Answer by gdiamante at 3:52 AM on May. 8, 2009

• i had it and it did not work they try 3 or 4 different times and still could not get the pain to go away
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:13 AM on May. 8, 2009

• i had one with my son when i was 8cm dilated - it worked great and i didnt have any problems like the pp above said

with my daughter i held off but it ended in a c - sec so i had to have one it worked and again didnt have any problems like the pp said
    JAJA_Steele

Answer by JAJA_Steele at 4:30 AM on May. 8, 2009

• My dream was to have my baby naturally. I was so disappointed that I did most of the labor at home and by the time I got to the hospital I was at 9cm but could not get to 10. I got an epidural, only to be rushed in soon after to have an emergency CS after the baby's HR dropped suddenly. We are both fine but I felt disappointed afterward that I was 1 cm shy of not delivering vaginally.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:12 AM on May. 8, 2009

• No. I used lots of breathing, rocking, swaying. I chose not to for various reasons including knowing the risks to myself & baby and the rates of surgery associated with getting one and seeing first hand the complications my friends experienced (not to say all women have problems but some do, even months later)
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 6:47 AM on May. 8, 2009

• I laobored the first time in the shower with the hot water as my pain releif and it was great. With my second I labored at home as long as possible in the hot tub and just dealt with it on the ride there and started pusing about 30 minutes after arriving at the hospitail. The warm water was wonderful along with simply breathing and focusing through the contractions while pushing.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 7:16 AM on May. 8, 2009

• they had gave me something before the ep but i was in so much pain i didn't pay attention. and when i had my ep, it worked right away almost. well with my first one it worked right away but my second one it took a little time
    summerdaile

Answer by summerdaile at 7:31 AM on May. 8, 2009

• oh and they gave me mine at like 6 cm.
    summerdaile

Answer by summerdaile at 7:32 AM on May. 8, 2009

• Nope... I did cave after my water was broken without consent for 1/2 a dose of nubain that wore off in 30 min.

As for pain relief: breathing, massages, focusing worked really well.

Home birth this time, no drugs allowed hehe
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 7:34 AM on May. 8, 2009