Did your baby have problems @ birth?

My son came out "floppy & unresponsive". They called a code rushed in & immediately stabilized him & rushed him to the NICU. They said it was likely caused by "transitional stress"...I was induced + 3 days labor + 1.5hrs pushing. He spent 4 days in NICU because he also developed high jaundice. It was very scary I did not know at first what was wrong & if my son was going to make it!? My heart truly goes out to the mothers who have lost a child...Im so very sorry & I could not imagine....

whispers2005

Asked by whispers2005 at 3:44 AM on May. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My son was 2 months early, he was pretty healthy for being early. He had to stay i nicu for 2 long weeks because he had a hard time feeding and had to be hooked but to a feeding tubes, he had all kinds of iv's tubes...etc. its scary! but he is now my healthy little one year old! i am very blessed!
    DilsMommy

Answer by DilsMommy at 3:48 AM on May. 8, 2009

• my daughter had a few complications..she had a hole in her lung, pneumonia, and the group b strep infection. she was in an incubator for the first 3 days ( i wasnt even allowed to hold her), and she was hooked up to an IV for 8 days..it was terrrrrrrrrible!! it was nothing life threatening, but still, seeing her so helpless was heart breaking!! and to make things worse, all the nurses were on strike as we were there, so they wanted to transport her to a different hospital, and leave me there, because i was also hooked up to an IV for that week, because i got the group b strep infection as well..but i would not let them take her to another hospital..it was 45 minutes away, and yaaa, that wasnt gonna happen!! after those 8 days tho she was allowed to come home, good as new!! but it was still stressfull!!! i hated not being able to hold her...
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 3:58 AM on May. 8, 2009

• my son had cord issues and after pushing for 2 hours He somehow got passed the cord and out he came

My daughter everything was progressing great and moving along she apparently moved her head as she was moving down creating her to "get stuck" so I had less than 3 minutes to get used to the idea we were having a c-section and off we went
    JAJA_Steele

Answer by JAJA_Steele at 4:34 AM on May. 8, 2009

• My daughter, (baby #4) was born at 23 weeks, so she was in NICU for 2 1/2 mos. She started breathing on her own the next day, but because she was so small (1.5 lbs) they kept her on the vent for 2 weeks. She is now a very healthy 2 1/2 yr old with no physical problems or developmental delays. Other than being a bit small for her age, you'd never know she was a preemie.
    Read her story... http://www.cafemom.com/journals/read/1163774/Portrait_of_a_Miracle

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 8:35 AM on May. 8, 2009

• none here except my son was borderline Jaundiced but not diagnosed so they put hi under the lights to get his levels back down as a precautionary measure
    ssnelson26

Answer by ssnelson26 at 8:43 AM on May. 8, 2009

• No problems at all. I had a water birth at birth center, went home 4 hours after the birth. Everything was perfect! I am truly sorry for every mother who has had to go through that too, I couldn't imagine. I am sorry you had to go through that. It sounds like the diagnosis of "transitional stress" was the hospitals way pretending it wasn't their fault. I honestly feel that the reason I had such a wonderful, uncomplicated and problem-free birth was because I wasn't in a hospital.
    LeoneLover13

Answer by LeoneLover13 at 9:29 AM on May. 8, 2009

• My daughter's heart rate almost stopped when they broke my water after about 20 hours of labor. They filled me back up and I was ready to push about 2 hours later. Then we discovered she was sunny side up and wasn't coming down and her heart rate was going back down so it was an emergency Csection. When they got her out they discovered that the cord was wrapped around her kneck five times! Thus the heart rate problems during labor. She was unresponsive and wouldn't cry. They worked on her for about 2 minutes trying to get her to cry and she never did more than one or two whimpers but they finally decided that she was fine and gave her to my hubby who showed her to me. LONGEST 2 minutes of my life!! Both me and her ended up with a fever and she ended with jaundice but she only spent about 12 hours under the billy lights before we got to go home. I had a TON of other complications but am fine now & she is perfectly healthy 10mo
    mrsbvader

Answer by mrsbvader at 1:34 PM on May. 8, 2009