A little worried..

How common is it to get depressed after you give birth? How bad can it get? How do you deal with it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:52 AM on May. 8, 2009 in Pregnancy

• It is called Post Partum (sp?) Depression. It varies on how bad it can get. Talk to your doctor & he/she can recommend a pshychologist for you to talk to (& to evaluate how bad it is). You can also post this in the Parenting question section under "Babies (0-12months)" to talk to other moms going through it now, or in general parenting to get advice from other moms who have gone through it before. Good luck!
    WannabeMommy87

Answer by WannabeMommy87 at 4:02 AM on May. 8, 2009

• Post partum is definately real! I'm a living witness... because I believe I'm still suffering from it. I'm a single mother a 7 month DS and this is my first and only child. To be honest, the first 6 months were really bad and dark. I absolutely love my baby and he gives me a reason to keep trying, but I felt overwhelmed and alone for the longest. I mourned the loss of my old body and just worried how I could provide for him after the loss of my job. Plus my DS had really bad colic as a newborn so I was irritable and lacked sleep. So I joined CM so that I could get advice from other moms and found out I was not alone. A lot of my problems were common and sometimes mothers would give me different perspectives of issues and a lot of needed support! Truthfully, I am very hesistant to talk to my OB about being depressed--being a single mom. But now I understand I should just because it can benefit both my DS and myself... good luck
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:58 AM on May. 8, 2009

• I think it's a lot more common than you may think. I had very very mild post-partum. I wouldn't even call it that ... more like the "baby blues". The first 2 weeks, I was on cloud 9 and so happy. We had people coming over and sleep deprivation hadn't hit yet. Then, when my son was 2 weeks old, the blues started. It was like the honeymoon period was over and this was my life. Sleep deprivation was awful, I was in pain from breastfeeding and switched to formula, and I was going through horrible hormonal change. I remember cringing when my son would cry, having no emotion towards him whatsoever when I'd look at him, going crazy in the middle of the night when he'd cry unconsolably. I would have to wake up DH and say "You HAVE to take over or else I'm gonna go insane". Thankfully he was very supportive. It only last 2 weeks, until my son was 4 weeks old. It's completely normal, and there are lots of people you can talk to.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 9:39 AM on May. 8, 2009