Natural remedies for PMDD?

I was diagnosed with PMDD before having kids and during my pregnancies and while nursing afterwards I was fine, but now at 23 months PP I am having some issues again. I am still nusring, but obviously the hormones aren't as leveled out since I have been nursing so long. I really don't want to do drugs since I am worried about them passing in my milk and was wondering if any one had any luck with natural treatments. I have an appointment next week and will discuss it, but I wanted some personal experience. Oh and the PMDD was part of the reason I nursed. The doc said nursing would delay it coming back and it did! But sadly it did eventually come back:(

aeneva

Asked by aeneva at 7:13 AM on May. 8, 2009 in Health

• I used to have PMDD, severe incapacitating cramps, and emotinal grief before I went vegan. I tried birth control pills and instead of just premenstral it was all the time, and I ended up suicidal, plus lots of spotting. my symptoms were lessoned when I first quit any animal products that potentially had any added hormones or pesticides (animals are often fed pesticide rich food and it's in their flesh and milk) I was that sensitive to the hormones/pesticides added to animal foods, pesticides are hormone dysrupters and act like hormones in your body. I also had to stay away from caffine, not sure why but this helped me have less severe problem, I also had to take serious the little upsets that happen earlier in the month, stuffing it, would mean later in the month it would mean harder time otherwise. But truly the best thing was going to a whole foods vegan diet.
    Imamom4sure

Answer by Imamom4sure at 9:10 PM on May. 8, 2009

• herbals can pass into milk as well, talk to your doc adn or a lactation specialist...
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 8:25 AM on May. 8, 2009

• Yes I know, but I feel much better about most of them passing into breastmilk then the drugs. I will talk with the doctor, but I specically said in the question that I am looking for PERSONAL EXPERIENCES. What part of that don't you understand?
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 8:36 AM on May. 8, 2009

• I have had pmdd for years, but mostly it showed up after my 4th child. I had always gone back on BC after each baby but with this one I didnt want to. I knew we were done. I could not breastfeed because of a surgery I had in 02. I did not lactate but just a tiny bit. I was terrified of the hormonal changes. The heavy periods started soon and I thought I was going to die. Not literally but the pain is so bad. I have suffered now for 3 full years and I have refused any antidepressant and birth control pill offered to me. I know theres a better way. I do believe in bio idential hormones. They are compounded just for you based on the dosage that your dr prescribes. Unfortunately finding a doc that knows about them and how to write them is hard. The basic obgyn does not do this. Theres no big pharma to get kickbacks from, I think..LOL I took them many years ago when I just couldnt get my hormone levels under control. CONT.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:25 AM on May. 8, 2009

• I am not sure if you can take them while breastfeeding but I know that they can help you afterward...long term. The usual things prescribed are estrogen, progesterone, dhea, and testosterone. I had to have bloodwork done first. In the meantime while you are breastfeeding, go to the local healthfood store and ask them. My chiro sent me in there to ask about vit D. He says thats a good way to ward off depression. My knowledge from talking to several docs is this...the hormones are one situation, the imbalance of them anyway. THen the bleeding and cramping with the heavy periods are another issue. Now personally in my experience, the more out of whack my hormones are, the grouchier, the more tired, the more crying I do, then the heavier the period. So I really am torn about this. I am going to find myself a new doc too. I think I might have some level of endometriosis. But I have been diagnosed with PMDD too. Hope that helps.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 9:29 AM on May. 8, 2009

• OP HERE Personally I don't have much issue with the period and physical symptoms, but major issue with the mood symptoms. I tried birth control in the past and it made things worse which made my doc beleive it was a progesterone and testosterone issue for me and the added estrogen of the pill made things worse. I am on a nonhormonal IUD at the moment. I will see if my chiro or midwife will look at the hormone levels. My chiro is also a homeopath so maybe he will. Thanks.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 9:46 AM on May. 8, 2009

• I don't know if I'm clear, you don't have to go all the way vegan to get relief, just make sure your meats and dairies are limited and of organic, no hormone or pesticide animals. I didn't go vegan to cure this, but after going vegan, I have no where the intensity and most of the time no issues at all. but maybe getting pregnant and having kids has been the cure, and it's just coincidental. yoga is another thing that was helpful, hot baths and massages, but pretty much its a lifestyle all month rather than just for premenstral times.
    Imamom4sure

Answer by Imamom4sure at 9:14 PM on May. 8, 2009

• I just thought of another reason that diet may have been helpful. I also cut salt and fat out for my dh, and although I normally have low blood pressure, I would think I needed salt because of dizzy spells, now it could have been a delayed reaction to the motrin or it could be that for me salt makes my blood pressure lower, as if I'm dehydrated or something. So low salt diet, and low fat diet made me feel great and this could have also been what was the reason I quit having the PMDD
    Imamom4sure

Answer by Imamom4sure at 2:23 AM on May. 11, 2009

• I had severely debilitating cramps and tried LOTS of stuff to curb them, including a vitex herbal tincture.  The tincture didn't help *me* but has been known to help lots of women, talk to an ND or herbalist about it.  I'm not sure if vitex is safe for nursing mothers or not.

Going vegan did help me though, as well as drinking lots of water.  I started by giving up dairy and red meat, which I think were the main culprits.  Bad foods are what cause health problems the vast majority of the time. 
    I have recently learned about an elimination cleanse to detox and figure out what foods are hazardous to your health.  You CAN NOT detox while nursing or pregnant, but if you want the info for that cleanse for later send me a message and I'll be happy to send it to you.

jellyphish

Answer by jellyphish at 2:37 PM on May. 11, 2009

• I have had friends that have done juice fasts while nursing, and I have always refined my diet regardless of pregnant and nursing and had no ill effects on my baby.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:58 AM on May. 13, 2009