Children International

Anybody ever sponsor a child? How was your experience? How much does it roughly cost you monthly? Sorry so many questions..but for a long time now I've been wanting to sponsor a child..and yeah I just have questions before deciding to talk with DH about it. :)

SparklingHope

Asked by SparklingHope at 8:10 AM on May. 8, 2009 in Relationships

• We sponser children from my husbands hometown in South America. We have had a very good experience with it, we choose to donate to a orphanage that has about 25 kids living in it. You are free to send however much you can afford each month, and it is mostly used for food and school supplies for this kids. On average we send about 50 dollars a month.
    WishyClarkson

Answer by WishyClarkson at 8:27 AM on May. 8, 2009

• I sponsor 2 kids through World Vision, which is a wonderful organization that helps millions of people throughout the world, including in times of great crisis. Each child is $30 per month to sponsor, and then there's various opportunities to give extra throughout the year. World Vision makes it very easy to keep in touch with your sponsored child by sending you lovely cards with stickers and games to sign and send back, to be forwarded on to the kids. Of course, you can also write your own letters to the child if you wish. I find sponsorship to be very fulfilling and a GREAT way to teach my children in a way that is personal to them, about giving to others, and helping them realize how very fortunate we are, and that because of that, we are called to assist others who are oppressed, hungry, unclothed, etc.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:30 AM on May. 8, 2009

• no! A few years back they had lawsuits against one-1. the money wasn't go to feed kids and 2. the childrens photos they were giving out were of dead children. This was one of the Christian ones. Ahh my view I would rather give food to a local food bank and feed a child in this country then one half a world away.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:32 AM on May. 8, 2009

• www.charitynavigator.org

You can go to this site and type in any organization's name to see how it's rated and how it spends it's money. World Vision and Children International are both 3 out of 4 stars. There are other childrens charities you can check out here too. BTW, to the PP, I can't speak for Children International, but I know that World Vision also assists Americans in times of need (ie, during natural disasters), but the sponsorship program is for kids who are literally starving and living in grass huts. Mostly their countries do not have any programs to assist them like we have in the US, so the need is far more urgent.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:03 AM on May. 8, 2009