Any 40th Surprise Birthday party ideas on a budget?

DH turns 40 in August and his parents sent me an email asking me if I had thought of throwing him a party. Well, to be honest we have been so busy since the wedding, staging my house to sell and just learning we are expecting a baby that I haven't thought about birthdays. I feel horrible.

We have his son's 15th birthday in August as well. The only thing I can think of on a budget is to have a covered dish dinner/party and have everyone bring something different, decorate the back yard and get a slip n slide or moonwalk for the kids. DH said he didn't want a party and he hates cake. I cannot let his 40th go by and not make a big deal about it.

Give me some ideas please...

lilbit022009

Asked by lilbit022009 at 8:37 AM on May. 8, 2009 in Just for Fun

• well since he doesn't like cakes does he like ice cream??? You can make an ice cream cake. My mom made one for me and the bottom layer is oreo cookie crust, then coffee ice cream, then vanilla, the chocolate. it is so good. also what you are thinking of sounds fine. have a cookout type and let people bring a different dish. ask you MIL to provide the meats.(Hamburger and hotdogs) I think if he has some of his friends there he will have a good time. Don't make it like a birthday party make it more of a get together for him.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 8:53 AM on May. 8, 2009

• since he doesnt like cake you can get a cookie cake! thats what my hubby always gets because neither one of us like cake either. also if you are looking for decorations www.orientaltrading.com has a ton of decorations for cheap!
    mommyBrooke849

Answer by mommyBrooke849 at 9:09 AM on May. 8, 2009

• Since he said he didn't want a party, and men aren't apt to play games about stuff like that, have you considered taking him out to a nice dinner, and maybe a night in a hotel? That would be a good date for the two of you, he wouldn't feel pressure to be happy about a party he doesn't want, and in the end it would probably be cheaper...
    AnnieMcD

Answer by AnnieMcD at 9:11 AM on May. 8, 2009

• I'd go with an inexpensive weekend get away if he doesn't want a party. Have small dinner for the family so the inlaws can celebrate too. Then it's off to where ever is close by but fun and romantic. I Don't know where you are but Cooper's Town NY is nice, it's where the Baseball hall of fame is and there are lots of things that women enjoy too. If it's within driving distance think about it...
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:22 AM on May. 8, 2009

• Don't do a boring covered dish party!!!! 40 is a HUGE milestone! You can be more creative than that! Possibly turn it into a "childs" party for adults! or do a walk down "memory lane".. with his favorite ( childhood games), favorite Music ( from childhood), etc. and of course a bunch o' booze would make the games more fun. :) Personally when I turn 40 I want an 80's party or all my friends and brothers ( and myself) to head to Vegas to do stupid things that should have been done 20 years prior!.
    Anonymous

• Yeah, I guess we'd do the booze and partyin for his birthday except for the fact that we have kids and we are pretty family oriented and I'm pregnant. As awesome as that sounds I will have to pass on the alcohol. I think having that at a family party tends to send the wrong message for our kids.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 6:29 PM on May. 8, 2009