When should I tell my boss I'm pregnant?

I just found out I'm pregnant. My boss, very recently, offered me permanent employment after being a temp, and I accepted. I still have not yet signed the HR papers. Should I tell my boss before I sign out of respect, or afterwards? Also, how far along should I be prior to telling my boss?

NAldinger

Asked by NAldinger at 9:04 AM on May. 8, 2009 in Money & Work

• It depends on how far along you are. If you're pretty early, don't tell him. You could miscarry and you don't want to have to tell him, or your coworkers, that information. I would wait until you start to show, which could be months from signing the HR papers.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 9:16 AM on May. 8, 2009

• After, I would wait until you are around 15 weeks or so. It is really none of his business just yet. Unless it is a job where it is dangerous for your health, they cannot fire you because you are pregnant. I had to quit a job because I was pregnant. I used to have to lift 150lbs. on a daily basis. so my job was too dangerous. good luck
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 9:18 AM on May. 8, 2009

• Wait to tell your boss until you can no longer hide your pregnancy. Be fully prepared with a transition plan for your reponsiblities during your maternity leave; try to anticipate any questions.

Answer by rkoloms at 9:35 AM on May. 8, 2009

• Wait as long as possible, even though it's illegal to fire someone because they are pregnant you can be "laid off" as I was. They made it very clear it was a lay off, however because of my situation I say you wait until the very last second you can and then like PP said, be prepared with a transition plan while you are on maternity leave.
    finallyamom40

Answer by finallyamom40 at 10:45 AM on May. 8, 2009

• well, I would tell them now. Especially if you are in a factory setting. Some companies have hazards that are extremely harmful to pregnant women. Ex. I worked in an ice cream factory when I was pregnant. They had to know for safety reasons, if you were pregnant. If there was an amonia leak, it will effect the baby more so than an adult, which could lead to death. So they HAD to know.

Talk to HR about maternity leave. If you are at a desk job, or a job where lifting isnt' really required, you can wait until you are past the first trimester. After that you really should inform your boss.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:04 AM on May. 8, 2009

• It's appropriate to wait until you are 12 weeks. You can tell him earlier, but don't really have to. If you are really early, I would wait until after you sign the papers. I was in a similar situation with my first pregnancy. I took a pregnancy test the evening before my interview and I didn't tell my boss until my first week there (which was about 10 weeks into my pregnancy) Legally they can't not hire you (or fire you) for being pregnant, but with the way jobs are these days, I would secure your job and sign the papers and wait it out for a little before you tell anyone you work with.
    Stacyf1979

Answer by Stacyf1979 at 12:29 PM on May. 8, 2009