How to relax and prepare myself

Im 33 weeks, and just started prenantal care...

Today is my second visit, and they are drawing blood...

Im terrified of needles, no terrified doesnt even count.

I fought off two nurses while pregnant with my daughter going to the surgical room.

I didnt want the spinal, and i freaked out.

How can i prepare myself for this..

Its not the pain that im scared of

Its the needle

mommyofAurora

Asked by mommyofAurora at 9:04 AM on May. 8, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Just don't get the spinal! Why do you need it? I had two wonderful births with no drugs or interventions of any sorts.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:07 AM on May. 8, 2009

• Thats not what im asking.

They are drawling blood this time for tests, and im already freaking out.

I had to have a spinal, it was a c section.
    mommyofAurora

Answer by mommyofAurora at 9:08 AM on May. 8, 2009

• they have to draw blood to make sure ur not diabetic sometimes wen u get prego u canbecome diabetic so they have to test your blood!!! i am afraid of needles too and i have been pregnant twice if u just keep thinking its for your baby that he or she needs you to get through this and get it done you should be okay but try not to get tooo worked up over it because it could really cause they baby to get stressed out and put you into preterm labor which is never good so just try not to think about it and do things to keep your mind off of the needle like when u go in dont look at it or anythign take a book or sumthin and read durning the tests
    MomaKel

Answer by MomaKel at 9:14 AM on May. 8, 2009

• Well keep in mind these women are here to help you not hurt you. If you are having blood drawn, I hate needles too, I ask for the baby butterfly need and I inhale as they insert the needle. It's not so bad now. It's only for a few minutes. Get the blood drawn.

There are women like you and I that couldn't deliver naturally and had to have c-sections. With that comes extra needles that other moms just don't know how that feels. It's going to be ok. Just tell yourself that. When it's all over you'll have your baby. Good Luck.
    lilbit022009

Answer by lilbit022009 at 9:14 AM on May. 8, 2009

• The only advice I have is to not look when they are prepping and drawing the blood. They have to take it, so it's not like you can get out of it ....
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 9:15 AM on May. 8, 2009

• Just don't look! They will be super quick, Bring an iPod and close your eyes!
    kitten_shuga

Answer by kitten_shuga at 9:15 AM on May. 8, 2009

• they could also be testing to make sure everything is okay with u and the baby and make sure he or she isnt going to have any birth defects
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:15 AM on May. 8, 2009

• You should take a look at those "needles" before you even go have it done. They are not like sewing needles. They are so tiny and even seem flexible, more like those fiberoptic strings. Sometimes your imagination (thinking it's a big old hard needle) can scare you so seeing what it realy is might help. The last time they drew my blood I didn't even feel it, the needles are so tiny now. If you focus on your fear you will tense up and make things harder on yourself. Try some breathing (relaxing) exercises so you focus on that and not what's happening around you. Being able to tune out what is happening around you is a talent every mother should learn!

Answer by admckenzie at 9:49 AM on May. 8, 2009

• Tell them you're phobic about needles, and you don't want to see anything to do with the blood draw. Find a spot on the wall or ceiling, and focus on that 1 single spot. Take long slow breaths, inhaling for a count of six, exhaling for a count of six. Relax your body as much as you can, and focus your entire body on your breathing. Block out all sounds, except for the sound of your breath. Block out all sensations except for the baby inside you. Focus on those until nothing else is around you.
    You'll do fine.
    debra_benge

Answer by debra_benge at 10:54 AM on May. 8, 2009

• I am terrified of needles too, and when I have to have blood drawn I just look the other way and if Hubbys there I try to talk to him, I tell the nurse to not tell me what shes doing just to do it and get it over with. Good Luck, I know how you feel!!
    lvnmygrlz

Answer by lvnmygrlz at 12:25 PM on May. 8, 2009