Birth Control for Developementally Disabled?

I have been seeing a lot of birth control questions here and am really bothered by something I was told long ago. I have a family member that used to work for Planned Parenthood (before they got big into abortion). She told me that a lot of the parents of kids that had developmental disabilities would bring their girls in to have them get the shot (Depo). The person giving them the shot would tell them that it was just vitamins. I was shocked that they would do that. My family member told me that the girls wouldn't take birth control (because they wouldn't remember) and in their minds having a baby was like having a doll. They didn't have the capacity to understand what kind of care a baby needs. While I understand the argument, I am still appauled at this practice. I don't know if it is still practiced, but how do you feel about parents of Developmentally Disabled having their daughters fertility controled?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:17 AM on May. 8, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I will resist the urge to answer anon. I have a mentally disabled son. We don't, and won't get a diagnosis. He is 12 1/2. We worry, a lot, about someone taking advantage of him, a girl, and her getting pregnant. Obviously not now, but years from now. There are some sick people out there, and they aren't all men. We don't want him to be taken advantage of, then be responsible for something he wasn't mentally able to make a good decision on. He's almost 13, but has them mental capacity of maybe a 6 year old. There is not birth control shot/pill/device for boys. I wish there were. He'd be on it. So I can def. understand why parents would want their MD daughters on the shot. As far as lying to them, if it's in the best interest of their child, why not say it's vitamins? How exactly will that hurt them? Especially when they think a baby is the same as a doll? Do you really think MD kids are capable of dealing with pregnancy?
    Buffie95

Answer by Buffie95 at 3:06 PM on May. 8, 2009

• If the daughters are like children and cannot care for themselves I think the parents are smart.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:23 AM on May. 8, 2009

• I completely agree. People with developmental disabilities (especially teenagers and young women) cannot comprehend the simplest tasks of everyday life. But they do have sex just like any other teenager and young woman. They are the ones more likely to do it because for one they are very impressionable and cannot fully understand what sex is and they think it is a game. However even with a developmental disability they can still lead a somewhat normal life. They can go to school on their own and go to the store with no supervision. but sex is one aspect in life for some reason or another they cannot completely understand (some do though). So I agree with mothers getting their girls on birth control.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 9:24 AM on May. 8, 2009

• I think that is horrible, absolutely horrible!! I have a niece with Down Syndrome. When she was 10 or 11 she got her period, because her bone age was 15. Anyway, her mom put her on the Depo shot because it was known for making your periods stop. She couldn't go to school while she was on her period because she couldn't clean her self up. She could go to the bathroom on her own, but the whole period process what hard for her. Anyway, the shot made her periods worse, they would be really heavy and last weeks at a time. Eventually when she was 14 she had a hysterectomy. I know there are people out there that say that putting a 14 year old through a hysterectomy is cruel, but it was the best and solution. She would not be able to take care of children, and it has made her life so much easier.
    AnnHenderson

Answer by AnnHenderson at 9:24 AM on May. 8, 2009

• Let me clarify... I think that it is horrible that they are lying to the children. They may not completely understand, but I think they should be told the truth. Truth on "their" level.
    AnnHenderson

Answer by AnnHenderson at 9:25 AM on May. 8, 2009

• that is something I should have said too. I do not think they should lie and say it is a vitamin. They should tell them the truth. It is a shot to control their period and to protect them against pregnancy.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 9:30 AM on May. 8, 2009

• We have a family friend that has developmental delays, and he got involved with a girl that also had delays and they got pregnant very soon after starting a relationship. Her mother wanted her to have an abortion (due to her being so young, having delays and fearing that her DD couldn't take care of a baby). She resisted and her and the boy decided to get married. They had two kids. They divorced, the guy has custody of the girls. They are in their teens now. Their mother doesn't see them, she doesn't care to and is too busy sleeping around town. The father has a menial job and has been offered promotions, yet he doesn't take them and isn't interested in being anything but a dishwasher. His mother still helps take care of the girls, and she is dying of cancer. Where will these girls be when the only real adult in their life passes away?

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:38 AM on May. 8, 2009

• I don't think anyone should lie, but I think giving the girl depo is responsible parenting. There may have been a good reason for the parent to lie, like if the girl understood HOW to get pregnant and decided she wanted a baby.

The parent is the one who takes care of the daughter, and will probably continue to do so for the rest of the daughter's life. A pregnancy could be extremely difficult, and then the parent would also have a grandchild to take care of.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 9:42 AM on May. 8, 2009

• I don't know if they should tell the children the truth or not. It depends on the child and their level of understanding, and unfortunately what they might tell people. If some pervert got wind of the fact that they were on birth control, they might take advantage of the child, less chance of getting caught. Unfortunately some evil creatures do. I am sure the parent's are doing their best in a hard situation, and none of our kids come with instruction manuals.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:45 AM on May. 8, 2009

• I don't have a problem with them getting birth control - there are many that are emotionally, physically, and mentally capable of having sex just fine, but their capacities still aren't high enough to handle pregnancy and parenthood.

but they should tell them the truth about what it is.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:24 AM on May. 8, 2009