My little girl's eyes are swollen up......

Do you think this is seasonal allergies, or food allergy? Yesterday I fed her carrots for the first time, but also we spent some time outside and it was pouring pollen. We had a REALLY high count yesterday. Ick.

So what do you think, food allergy or pollen allergy?

And what can I do?

srhmldndo

Asked by srhmldndo at 9:35 AM on May. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• no it's not because of the AC...if you gave her carrots around 5 then more than likely it would not have shown up until this morning. call your ped. office and ask the nurse to ask the doc. what kind of allergy med. she can take and how much. maybe he can phone you in a rx. if not then ask about what OTC meds. you can use.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 9:49 AM on May. 8, 2009

• it could be a food allergy, or pollen you cannot tell. it could be both..I would never suggest taking her back outside if you have a really high pollen count. when this clears up you should try the carrots again and see if it does that. do not take her outside so she doesn't come in contact with all the pollen. if she is over a year old(my daughter is 18 months and I give her this by doc. orders) i would give her some children's claritin. call your doc. to see how much would be okay to give her for allergies.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 9:39 AM on May. 8, 2009

• Depends on her age you can give her benedryll and allergy eye drops to clear it up. If it was a food allergy you would have noticed it while she was eating and it usually follows in a rash or hives or bumps as well. Pollen usually causes the eye swelling as it irritates the eyes. Food allergies usually occur while they are eating and cause other symptoms as well most commonly a rash.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 9:39 AM on May. 8, 2009

• I woul dkeep her inside today and keep her off of carrots. Then take her back out tomorrow and see if she swells up again. Then call her Pedi. They can tell you what to do from there.
    BrandonsMom1000

Answer by BrandonsMom1000 at 9:40 AM on May. 8, 2009

• She is only 4 months old, so I can't give her those meds I don't think. She didn't show any symptoms yesterday. I fed her carrots yesterday at around 5pm. And she was fine until she woke up this morning. Or maybe because I had on the AC last night?
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 9:43 AM on May. 8, 2009

• try wiping her eyes with a warm wash cloth from the part of her eye next to her nose to the outside!! this will get any pollen that got on her eyes off and help clean out her eyes so that the swelling will go down but with an infant you should call her pedi and just let them know whats going on!!! they could also give you other home treatments to help becaus eat this age she shouldnt really take any medicine. But im pretty sur eits not fromt he carrots because she would have shown signs before now the pollen it woulda taken a lil longer to irrate her eyes!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:49 AM on May. 8, 2009

• I agree with pp, 2wndfl, plus use the washcloth to wipe her face off when outside and keep her indoors on high pollen days.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 10:23 AM on May. 8, 2009

• i think you should take her to her pediatician first... just to be sure she is alright.
    FrankiesMa08

Answer by FrankiesMa08 at 10:42 AM on May. 8, 2009