• In the Spotlight:

Is it wrong to make fun of people because of their beliefs?

To all the people on here that like to make fun of Christians and always pick them out and say how close-minded and ignorant we are for our beliefs, such as the ones that are against homosexuality and what not. How is this any different than if we picked on someone for being homosexual? What if we talked about them on CM constantly. Saying really harsh things and posting rude jokes and comments about them? I mean I would never do this personally, but I'm just saying. If you don't want your lifestyle choices to be picked on and made fun of then leave us alone too. It is not okay to use us as the brunt of every anti-homosexual joke or rant. There are other people besides Christians that are against homosexuals and not all of us are. I'm not. I know that this is not going to make any real difference and I'm sure that those very ppl will jump on this and do the same thing that they always do but I put it out there.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:45 AM on May. 8, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• We're not exactly making fun of you, we're pointing out that you single out people for things they can't help. The difference between what we say to you about your faith making you so very judgemental and what you say to homosexuals is that your faith is a choice and it's giving you license to hate based on something that the person can't help.

Now I don't think that Christans are bad people! Quite the contrary, most of you are very nice :) But that you're nice most of the time doesn't make it okay for things like what happened to Matthew Shepherd to continue because you God said that homosexuality was a sin. Or even the slander put out against homosexuals by the Christain churches.

I hope this didn't come across as mean, I was just trying to answer your question.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 9:51 AM on May. 8, 2009

• Yes it is wrong to make fun of people b/c of their beliefs. That being said. The only reason religious people get picked on so much is b/c it seems like they are one of the main groups of people who are against homosexuality and the like. And yes it is unfair to group all christians together like they are ALL against it. I know there are plenty of religious people who aren't against it. But the ones who are against it have really big mouths and it makes people think you are all against it. If the religious folks would let up, they wouldn't get bashed so much. I mean, if you think about it, homosexual people would never have anything to fight against if people would just let them live and love. Which is all they want anyway.
    GMR

Answer by GMR at 9:51 AM on May. 8, 2009

• Okay, I'm trying to be respectful in my answer. Hopefully that will come across. I'm a Christian. I am for gay rights, and those rights include marriage. The reason same-sex marriage is illegal is because for some reason this country has forgotten what the Constitution is all about and has allowed "the people" to vote on civil rights. And since the most predominate religion going to the polls to vote against those rights, is Christianity, those in support of gay rights will point out that it's never right to vote for others to not have their civil rights, especially because of religion. Christian can have their beliefs that it's wrong, but your beliefs should never be used to discriminate against others by denying them rights. To think that it's okay to deny others rights based on religion is close-minded and ignorant. And that is what is pointed out. And I think that the public has just gotten sick of all the hate speech.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 9:54 AM on May. 8, 2009

• How is this any different than if we picked on someone for being homosexual?

1) Religion is a choice

2) Christians are not denied equality with the rest of the United States based on their beliefs

3) Homosexuals are not going around trying to force the whole world to do what they do or else.

Ummmm, do you realize that the joking around is everyone just being funny because of a post earlier where a CHRISTIAN asked lame question about atheists!?!?!?

hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 9:55 AM on May. 8, 2009

• Ati_13, Who is Matthew Shepherd and what did Christians do to him? I don't always follow the news, sorry. :OP
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:55 AM on May. 8, 2009

• I just wanted to add that when I stated "you", I meant a general "you". I didn't mean to imply that is how I felt about you, OP.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 9:58 AM on May. 8, 2009

• I think it's really sad that anyone is made fun of.. particularly because of religious beliefs. Allah speaks of not mocking others for their beliefs.. and he speaks of not sitting with others who mock your religion. He tells us not to argue with the people particularly about religion. I try to follow that. I don't see a problem with questions and asking them if they are meant to really understand but when they do it just to mock, gossip and bring about hatred and what we call fitnah (problems, troubles) then i don't even bother with it. I refuse to allow someone the room to denegrate God in any way. So i basically will step away from it and leave them to their injustice.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 9:58 AM on May. 8, 2009

• Each time I see a CHRISTIAN on here telling someone they are wrong for being gay and it is a sin I laugh because judging someone is a sin as well. So I guess the bible is only the book when its in their favor and if they want to judge someone they may as they believe their sin is not the same sin as someone else. Most of the time someone is hiding behind the bible and religion in order to make themselves seem better than everyone else. We all have the right to love and no book is going to tell any of us who we can or can not love. I myself do not believe in the bible or anything that goes along with it but from what I do know any kind of marriage that is not within your own race or religion is wrong. So if your going to judge the gays or lesbians then you should judge anyone who married someone of another faith or color as well. Your beliefs are just that yours and many gays believe in the same thing as you.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:58 AM on May. 8, 2009

• Hannahwill, I haven't even seen any joking today so I am not referring to whatever you are talking about right now. If is is happening right now than it is not the first time because I am talking about all the previous times that I have seen it on here and in many of the journal posts.:OP
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:59 AM on May. 8, 2009

• So we're supposed to sit back and be quiet when the majority of CafeMom Christians tell us that we're going to hell for not following their God?

Yeah, okay.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:00 AM on May. 8, 2009