Fussing at breast.

I'm breastfeeding exclusively, though we do use binkies (she doesn't really take them) and bottles of expressed milk (when grandparents watch her). Lately she's been fussing after her initial gluping eating, but while she's still latched on. She kicks and swings her arms, pulls on my breast, unlatches and then searches, and makes grunty noises. Why is she doing this? It hurts my nipple. She is 7 weeks old.

doubleyouteeeff

Asked by doubleyouteeeff at 9:49 AM on May. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sounds like gas. Try giving her gas drops before you feed her and position her differently. She might be sucking in to much air. Maybe give her a few drinks from the bottle before you put her to your breast to avoid her latching on so hard and sucking so hard at first.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 9:52 AM on May. 8, 2009

• IDk but mine is doing the same thing and she's only a week! Right now I'm exclusively pumping because she tore up my nipples the last couple of times so bad I have to let them heal before she can breast feed again.

Good luck and I hope you get some answers!
    Xynyth

Answer by Xynyth at 9:52 AM on May. 8, 2009

• Sometimes baby will do that when they need to pee/poop.

The best cure for a baby fussing at the breast is lots of time skin to skin on mom's bare chest, and frequent feeding. Sometimes baby gets over hungry/tired and then gets frustrated easily.

If baby is fussing when the milk lets down it could be an overactive letdown. See Overactive Letdown http://www.llli.org/FAQ/oversupply.html
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 2:40 PM on May. 8, 2009

• Hmmm... I want you to research GERD and GER. The behavior you described are symptoms of reflux in babies. If this is the case, her DR can prescribe a medicine that is basically baby zantac. Call her pediatrician and set up an appt. It's important to get an assessment quickly as stomach acids, which cause her to pull away and grunt, will eventually get really painfull for her.
    bun-n-ma-oven

Answer by bun-n-ma-oven at 2:36 AM on May. 9, 2009

• My son does this. I don't know why. I just tell him he is acting like a crazy person and keep going. He only does it at night, though. Don't really know if this response helped at all.
    bluelady27

Answer by bluelady27 at 3:33 AM on May. 13, 2009