how do you feel about sending your 2nd grader on a class trip without your supervision?

My daughter is 8 and I'm a little uncomfortable sending her on class trips without me because she doesn't pay attention to her surroundings even when she is with me or her father and it scares the heck out of me to think of sending her on a class trip without me! Her teacher was very understanding and said that there is nothing stopping me from just showing up at where they might be going but I don't want to embarrass her in front of her friends.Am I being too overprotective or are there other parents out there who feel the same way as I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:16 AM on May. 8, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• it's always scarry the first time, but it always works out. there are usually enough chaperones to where you don't have to worry
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:17 AM on May. 8, 2009

• I was really nercous about it in Kindergarten and my mom would always go as a chaperone. Im ok with it now because I know allthe teachers and parents and I trust them. It is scary, but they do have headcounts, walk in lines, teachers at the front and back..and other ways to ensure that they all stay together. The first time they took a field trip on a bus I couldn't breathe...but I would stay home and stress and pray like a mom and not show up there.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 10:22 AM on May. 8, 2009

• For me, it would depend upon where they are going and for how long, and of course on the child. When my son was in K and 1st, I usually went with him on field trips so I would say that is a good option if you are able to go. Now that he's in 2nd grade he doesn't want his mom comming along anymore. He is a pretty mature and responsible kid though, and I know and trust his teacher.
    sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 10:34 AM on May. 8, 2009

• youre what teachers refer to as heliocopter parents. She will be fine.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:36 AM on May. 8, 2009

• My daughter is like that too. She looks to the side as shes walking straight into something. She will be starting school in the fall and i am freaked out too. Im afraid for her. I obviously have to let her go. So if i were you i'd ask if she really wants to go and if she does let her. I'm sure your'll be worried all day, i would be too. But she is getting bigger and you need to let her do things without you. So she can develop independence, at least a little. I'm sure she will be fine.
    Iluvmygirlies42

Answer by Iluvmygirlies42 at 11:04 AM on May. 8, 2009

• My 6yo is like that but you have to let go eventually. She's going with her girl scout troop to a bank and then McDonald's tomorrow...without me. There's only like 6 girls in the troop and I have no clue how many are going. I'm not worried.
    My 8yo will be going downtown in a couple weeks with her troop. They are taking the L downtown then taking a boat ride around the lake and hanging out at Navy Pier. I'm not going with.
    I've never tagged along for field trips. So far I've gotten all my kids back alive. Only injury was my son falling down the bus stairs after his pumpkin patch field trip in kindy (on his birthday no less).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:21 AM on May. 8, 2009

• it's all good, you have to let kids do things on their own or they will never learn how to live by themselves when they grow up. and next time you are out with her somewhere and you catch her not paying attention, DO SOMETHING. tell her look what could have happened because you were not paying attention. try to explain to her how important it is to pay attention to everything, try to give lots of examples and make sure she's listening to you, look her in the eyes and make her repeat some of what you're saying.
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 12:22 PM on May. 8, 2009

• Personally, I think you are overreacting. I'm sure that the school is going to be taking precautions, making sure they have enough chaperones and keeping track of the kids. They aren't going to let her just wander off somewhere. My son is in 1st grade and has gone on several field trips. I have never once gone with him and never even worried about it. I trust the school.
    Anonymous

• i would tell the teacher how you feel and ask her if she wants you to keep her home or go with.
    lienna

Answer by lienna at 12:49 PM on May. 8, 2009

• The cord has to be cut at some time. There will be other adults there. She is never going to learn to watch out for her surroundings if you're there doing it for her all the time.
    Anonymous