Did you know that babies all have a non-nutritive sucking need that lasts until at or aroung 18 months?

So, knowing this, why would you refuse to give you kid a pacifier at all? I'm not bashing, just really curious. I gave mine a pacifier because of this and I saw how it helped. He didn't have it all the time. He developed speech early and had no problems with it. He also had normal teeth. So, tell me why you choose not to give your kid one at all. Not talking to ones who's kids hated it. Just ones who refused to give one at all.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:16 AM on May. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I used a paci for the first 5 mos and then discovered that she was "addicted" to it. If it fell out of her mouth at night she wouldn't be able to sleep and then no one would sleep. I know that they have none nutritive sucking needs and she chooses to suck or chew on a blanket or a lovey now.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:18 AM on May. 8, 2009

• My son had a paci and daughter sucked her finger, didn't care.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:20 AM on May. 8, 2009

• I do know this fact and ty for bringing it up. I just read today also that they are now linking a reduction is SIDS related deaths to using a pacifier. But in the hospital NICU my sons nursing team said it is important to give a paci, teach baby to suck his fingers, or allow him to suck your pinkie as they so have a need to suck, without it being a bottle.Now, it must be said it can cause a baby to not want to breastfeed sooner versus a child that doesnt use a paci but that is because of the very need to suck, they will then feed/suck on moms nipple more often-not just to eat.
    I know its a personal chopice, but for me, anything that reduces the risk of sids...oh yeah I am doing it. My first son had a paci and did not have an orthpodontic issue(they have yet to prove a connection) and gave it up easily at 3(which is when its recommended they give it up).
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 10:21 AM on May. 8, 2009

• I didn't give my daughter a paci because she had trouble latching and I didn't want to further confuse her by giving her an artificial nipple. By the time I got her latch corrected (8 1/2 months!) she didn't want a paci at all. All her sucking needs were and are met at my breast, like nature intended.

When used judiciously, there's nothing wrong with pacifiers, it just wasn't right for my daughter.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 10:25 AM on May. 8, 2009

• I agree if they are breast feeding that it can be met there...I mean the ones that say....I will never give my baby a nasty paci.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:33 AM on May. 8, 2009

• I tried to give my son a pacifier when he was a newborn but he wouldn't have it. When he was like 2 months old he started using one. And at about 10 months old he threw it out of his mouth in the car and I couldn't find a spare once we got upstairs and just forgot about it for a bit. Then I realized it was about 3 days later and he had not used one at all. SOOO i threw all pacifiers away and even swapped him from a baba over to a sippy cup with a soft spout.
    FrankiesMa08

Answer by FrankiesMa08 at 10:36 AM on May. 8, 2009

• I did know a non-nutritive suckiong need existed. Where did you get this information? I have really never heard of this, so could you site a source? Thanks.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:55 AM on May. 8, 2009

• I mean did not know
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:56 AM on May. 8, 2009

• I wanted my kids to be paci kids I thought babies looked so cute w/ them in there mouth sucking away. My oldest only used it a few times and didn't want it. my youngest would still use one but she only used her at nap and bed time and would lose it so she just started sucking her fingers.
    MAyers

Answer by MAyers at 11:21 AM on May. 8, 2009

• I don't have an actual source. I learned it from Doctors and child experts at confrences while I was working at a daycare for four years. We had to go to many seminars and classes to get credits each year and this was learned during that. I will look it up for you though.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:54 AM on May. 8, 2009