Do I get a graduate gift or not???

Hi there,
I'm really confused and need you ladies to help me. A friend of mine is receiving her degree this Saturday and my family is invited to her grad party. Our kids have playdates together and consider her to be a pretty good friend since I'm fairly new in town. I don't know if it's expected of me to get her a grad gift or not. Also, what kind of gift do I get for her. She is a mother of two little ones (4 &1). Keep in mind my budget is not HUGE as I am expecting my 4th right around the corner. Thanks to all for any input.

Nikki00E

Asked by Nikki00E at 10:29 AM on May. 8, 2009 in Shopping

• Maybe a house plant...with a card about always growing..or something, or a bottle of wine
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 10:33 AM on May. 8, 2009

• Get her something that says congrats, a few items I got that I just loved (and weren't expensive), a poem about succeeding, a minnie mouse keychain with minnie in a cap and gown, a gift card to a bookstore so I could read an actual book for fun not for school. Maybe a copy of one of your favorite books? Some candles and bath gel/beads and an offer to watch the kids for a few hours so she can relax.
    finallyamom40

Answer by finallyamom40 at 10:34 AM on May. 8, 2009

• yes you should but not a grand one...what about a pedicure, or a massage? A mani/pedi you can get for aroud 30, pedi for less that 20 and a massage for a half hour is about 25-45...Also you could get her a gift certificate to bath and body works, so she can pick something nice for herself and that way you can spend a smaller amount. Right now they are having huge sales, alot of buy so many get some free...dont give her money because as a mom we all know we will spend money we get as a gift on something for the kids, and not ourselves. :o)
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 10:35 AM on May. 8, 2009

• Yes you should get her a gift, something like a gift certificate for a massage or a cute necklace.
    lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 7:45 PM on May. 8, 2009

• I don't think she'd expect it but I know she will appreciate it! You don't have to break the bank just something that says you care. A nice card and some flowers or a gift card for a lunch out, something small is fine!
    usbornebooksdh

Answer by usbornebooksdh at 8:11 PM on May. 8, 2009

• I would get her something. When a friend of mine graduated with her masters degree I got her a silver album engraved with her name and her credentials. How about a nice photo album that she can put her graduation and party pictures in?
    Magpie75

Answer by Magpie75 at 12:10 AM on May. 9, 2009

• It is really up to you. a nice, gift would be a business card holder.

Answer by rkoloms at 11:30 AM on May. 9, 2009