SLEEPING ISSUES

my LO recently got her toddler bed and she gets out of it int he middle of the night and comes to my room and lays in my bed and goes to sleep could this be a sign shes not ready for a big girl bed yet?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:45 AM on May. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yes and no. Everyone wakes many times in the night. She has simply discovered she has freedom to do what she wants now but she doesn't have the maturity to stay put. I'd try putting a baby gate over her doorway to keep her in her room at night. Afterall, you just THINK she is coming straight in to your room to sleep. And she actually may be doing that... for now. How soon before she remembers something she wasn't allowed to do in the day and realizes you won't be there to stop her from doing it now? Kids are smart, curious, and determined - and they have NO common sense.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:12 PM on May. 8, 2009

• you know what i did really work... i got my son a toddler bed at 20 months ..he wouldnt sleep on it...but i had my other son and i couldnt do it anymore i move my bed next to his and it worked..my bed is next to his now...but atleast i have my space..yeah we sleep in the nursery but is worth it..now he cant sleep with us..i hope by the summer i will get my bed out of their...lol
    brisa1984

Answer by brisa1984 at 1:10 PM on May. 8, 2009

• I'd either close her door or put up a gate (we found closing the door worked best). We put a gadget on it that prevents him from opening it. Baby stores sell them). I agree that she's just exploring her new freedom and it can be dangerous. Whatever you do, put her right back into her bed if she gets to yours. Otherwise you're giong to establish a habit that's very hard to break. While 20 months is a bit young for a bed, she can certainly handle it.
    Anonymous

• I don't think 20 months is to young for a bed at all. It depends on the child. I just changed my DD's bed from a crib to a toddler bed earlier this week. She's almost 17 months. But she learned to climb, which means the crib was becoming UNSAFE. So we changed it to the toddler bed, and bought the extra bed gate, so she can't roll out of it in her sleep, but is still able to SAFELY climb out of it. I had a co-sleeper until earlier this week. She LOVES her bed. But twice she has woken up and come to our bed. I got up, changed her diaper, and laid her right back into her bed, sat with her a minute, and she was right back to sleep. She still has her bed in our room, so wandering around the house is NOT an issue because we have a child lock high up on the door so she can't leave the room. and the room is completely baby proof.
    If you are still sharing a room, you can do what I do, it seems to work great for me.. if not...
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 2:21 PM on May. 8, 2009

• then I would just get a big kid gate for the door (much better than baby gates because they are higher and can't climb over). Put the monitor in the room. When your baby wakes up... go in there, get her comfortable again, and put her back to bed. You may have to sit with her for a minute or two to reassure her, but normally that's all they need. The monitor will help you know when she is up, so you don't wake up to her wide awake on the floor playing with her toys at 3 am. lol.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 2:23 PM on May. 8, 2009