Is it typical during perimenopause for your period to...

...taunt you with symptoms for nearly a week before getting down to business?? I was found to be peri- last year (I am 42) and will probably have another 5 years or so to go before my period quits completely. I don't know if I can keep putting up with this! :(

LIZARD66

Asked by LIZARD66 at 10:53 AM on May. 8, 2009 in Health

• It is SOOO normal! I'm surprised your doctor didn't say anything to you about this!
    hipgranny

Answer by hipgranny at 12:01 PM on May. 8, 2009

• Just a week? I go through it for two weeks!
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 1:16 PM on May. 8, 2009

• LOL,well...I didn't wanna depress her michiganmom....mine is never JUST a week either....
    hipgranny

Answer by hipgranny at 5:56 PM on May. 8, 2009

• OP here...

Have any of you had symptoms of a period coming and then never got it? I'm wondering if that may happen, too...
    LIZARD66

Answer by LIZARD66 at 5:24 PM on May. 9, 2009

• Depends on the symptoms. My typical symptoms are sore breasts, bloating, cramps, a short temper, emotional ups and downs, kinda JUST like a developing teen! Sometimes they'll go away several days before I start, leading me to think that I'll start in the next 24 hours or so, but my body loves to fool me. My cycles are anywhere between 23 and 30 days.

If I was late, the very first thing I would do would be to get a pregnancy test just to rule it out. Don't say "It's not possible" unless you've not had sex since your last period.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 8:45 AM on May. 12, 2009

• "If I was late, the very first thing I would do would be to get a pregnancy test just to rule it out. Don't say "It's not possible" unless you've not had sex since your last period."

I was tied and burned after my my son (nearly 15 years ago), so I would hope not, LOL! I woke up cramping today, so I think it's finally on its way.

LIZARD :)
    LIZARD66

Answer by LIZARD66 at 9:03 AM on May. 12, 2009

• My hubby had a vasectomy, tested clear of all swimmers, then I delivered our daughter 26 months later....so I never say never! LOL
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 9:17 AM on May. 12, 2009