Anyone here deal with cryptic tonsils?

I believe I have cryptic tonsils (holes in the tonsils that collect food and junk) and they are really bothering me. Has anyone dealt with this? I want to get my tonsils taken out due to this but am not sure how to approach my dr about it. Thought ladies. Thank you!!

yenca615

Asked by yenca615 at 10:55 AM on May. 8, 2009 in Health

• My tonsils are like that..I didn't know that there was a name for it. I don't think they would remove them because, for me at least, there isn't anything WRONG, its just icky.
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 12:19 PM on May. 8, 2009

• i think they are also called tonsile stones. yeahi get them sometimes. gargling with salt water or listerin may help.
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 1:06 PM on May. 8, 2009

• do you get infections from it? most ENT docs won't remove them unless you have frequent infections or breathing problems because of them.
    From the perspective of someone who just had a tonsillectomy (in april)- it's not a minor surgery. it's a pretty major surgery as an adult - you don't recover like kids do anymore!! I was on narcotics regularly at every 4 hours for almost a week and a half after and my surgeon told me I had a high pain tolerance as weaned myself off the drugs much sooner than most of his patients. It was almost 3 weeks before I could yawn without wincing though. He only agreed to take mine out because i had a strep infection that was living in my tonsils that antibiotics wouldn't kill after 3 months of antibiotics.
    ryras_mommy

Answer by ryras_mommy at 3:16 PM on May. 8, 2009

• It feels like my throat is swollen 99% of the time and the flem from allergies and stuff just keeps collecting there and i wake up gagging at night with it. right now I am not sure if they are infected or not. they are really red and swollen and i think it is even causing my ears to get infected. ugh. my sister has the same thing and they told her it was an elective surgery. on top of it all 3 ibuprofen every 6-8 hours doesn't kill the pain. it has been like this over a week. and unfortunately right now we don't have insurance cause dh is a contractor and not yet a regular employee. I have actually done the gargling with salt water and listering. that doesn't seem to help too much.
    yenca615

Answer by yenca615 at 10:00 AM on May. 11, 2009

• This may sound gross but take a flash light, look in the back of your throat, take a qtip, and push out all the tonsil stones. I clean my tonsils on a regular basis with a qtip.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:11 AM on Jan. 28, 2010