What foods could i give my one year old to help his diarhea?

What other things could I do to help it get back to normal?

Andrewsmommy12

Asked by Andrewsmommy12 at 11:13 AM on May. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Banana's, Rice cakes, apple sauce, toast.
    AnnHenderson

Answer by AnnHenderson at 11:14 AM on May. 8, 2009

• Use the B.R.A.T. diet...bananas, rice, apples and toast. Also make sure he's getting plenty of fluids, get clear pedialyte.
    Bmanda352

Answer by Bmanda352 at 11:15 AM on May. 8, 2009

• Cheese is good at plugging some people up.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 11:16 AM on May. 8, 2009

• you should also be making your child is getting plenty of hydration. if baby wont drink water try pedialyte.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 11:17 AM on May. 8, 2009

• Pedialite can make the diarrhea worse. I would stick to the "BRAT" diet and more water than milk.
    AnnHenderson

Answer by AnnHenderson at 11:18 AM on May. 8, 2009

• I've never seen pedialite make diarrhea worse! That's what it's for. And for crying out loud don't use cheese to reverse it. That's stupid.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:20 AM on May. 8, 2009

• Pedialite is not for the treatment of diarrhea! It is to replace nutrients IF the child is not getting them from eating or drinking a normal diet while they are sick! Pedilite makes diarrhea worse in my son, and the doc even said not to give him very much!!
    AnnHenderson

Answer by AnnHenderson at 11:24 AM on May. 8, 2009

• B.R.A.T. diet really works. Also I've noticed my son gets loose stools if he has too much sugar, which usually happens if his father is in charge for the day. If he drinks his juice full-strength try diluting it 50-50 with water. If he snacks on sugary cereals give him plain Cheerios or Kix. Good luck!
    zorrokat

Answer by zorrokat at 12:23 PM on May. 8, 2009

• Sugary drinks, including Pedialyte, gatorade and juice, can make diarrhea worse. Stick to water and feed plenty of starches and carbs.

Steer clear of anything fatty...

Breads, rice, potatoes, pasta, bananas, crackers, etc. Worry about getting back on his normal healthy diet later. Get him stopped up first!!! (well, not TOTALLY stopped up! lol you know what I mean)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 12:59 PM on May. 8, 2009

• You might also try adding a probiotic as well. You can get powdered versions (Culturelle is one kind) that you can add to whatever food he's eating well or just put in his milk. I find that helps.
    Anonymous