breast feeding disasters!

first she wouldnt eat then she wanted to eat all the time... Now she is a week old and only wants to eat off one side... Its like the one breast is a reject and she doesnt like it... How can I help her eat off of both sides without sending her into tantroms??? One day I think oh right we got it then a few hours later at the next feeding its like were back at square one... Will things ever even out??

candlefire22

Asked by candlefire22 at 11:56 AM on May. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Offer her the "reject" breast first, she is more likely to eat it then because she will be hungrier. Once she gets so she will eat that one, alternat starting breasts, this will keep your supply even in both.
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 12:05 PM on May. 8, 2009

• my son did the same thing he wanted the left and not the right...just keep giveing ur baby the one that she dont want i did and he know dont care what side i give him and he is 5 weeks
    Lacrisha

Answer by Lacrisha at 12:25 PM on May. 8, 2009

• My son did the same thing... he wouldn't eat off the right. We tried different holds and you might want to try that too... try a football hold on that side.
    What actaully worked for my son is just WEIRD... my husband had to put his hand on my sons head and that is what got him to latch on!!! ( you could try it, but I think thats just my strange little boy!)
    He later would eat off both sides just fine. But keep offering both and pump if she isn't taking the other side or your milk supply on that side will drop and you will be lopsided and she might start rejecting for a whole new reason!
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 1:00 PM on May. 8, 2009

• This is very common. It is fine to only use one breast if that is easier. One "trick of the trade" is to do the "slide-over position". You have baby happily nursing away on the preferred breast, and when he slows down or stops nursing, you gently break suction and slide him across your lap, so that he is at the other breast but hasn't actually changed his position.

Don't expect any sign of what seems like a "schedule" for a few months! They will nurse around the clock one day, and then every 3 hours the next day. Just keep nursing on demand and it will all work out just right!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 2:33 PM on May. 8, 2009

• I think we are finaly getting the hang of it... Thank you all for your help
    candlefire22

Answer by candlefire22 at 12:03 PM on May. 20, 2009