How bad does..

Getting an epidural hurt?
And having to get a cut down there?

I know it wont matter when you go into labor because you're just in as much pain as possible, but alone how bad do those two hurt?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:18 PM on May. 8, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I had spinal for my c-section, it was uncomfortable but did not hurt. I had two vaginal births prior with out meds. I did not get cut, but did tear a little. Your right you do not feel it per say becase you are in labor, tearing feels like a burn for a couple of days
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 12:22 PM on May. 8, 2009

• why do you assume you will need to get cut. epesiotomies should NOT be standard practice. they may be useful but many women would be better off not getting them. It can actually make you tear worse.

As for the epi, I don't know. I never got one, and wont get one lol.. so I can't tell you how that hurts.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 12:22 PM on May. 8, 2009

• an epidural doesn't hurt as nearly as bad as contractions as if at all when i had my girls i didn't feel the epidural cause i was worried about the contractions and not everyone gets cut down there i did with my first but not with my second if you do and you have an epidural you shouldn't feel it when they stitch you all i felt was tugging
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 12:23 PM on May. 8, 2009

• oh the reason i was cut with my first was because i was starting to tair
    mommy5409

• Well only why I asked about the epesiotomy was because I'm young (under 18) and small..
    I only weigh 139 pounds. I have a healthy body n baby but since i was so small to start with, i just have low weight and body..
    Anonymous

• I begged for the epidural:)
    i was having back to back contractions the epidural doesnt hurt bad at all.
    you wont even be thinking about the pain of it.
    and the cutting doesnt hurt because of course you will be numb...
    it still didnt hurt after it wore off either.
    kristajoy

Answer by kristajoy at 12:27 PM on May. 8, 2009

• I didn't get an episiotomy, but I think that if you do it takes a lot longer to heal and hurts worse than a tear during recovery. As for the epidural, I don't even remember, thats how little it hurts.
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 12:31 PM on May. 8, 2009

• Episiotomies are not standard practice anymore, or at least they shouldn't be. I didn't get one and I only had a single tiny tear that took just one stitch.

About the epidural, have no clue. Didn't get any pain meds.

And don't worry about being small. I was 19 when I had my son, and I was about 155lbs full-term, normally a 125lbs, 5'5 little thing, lol, and my son was almost 8lbs. Didn't have any problems birthing him. I pushed him out in just 20minutes after about 3 1/2 hours of labor. From start to finish, the whole shabang only took less than 4 hours.

carliemarie1015

Answer by carliemarie1015 at 12:33 PM on May. 8, 2009

• oh, and I have a friend on here, who is about my size, and she had a 9lb 6ozs baby vaginally. =]

carliemarie1015

Answer by carliemarie1015 at 12:35 PM on May. 8, 2009

• I thought getting the epidural was darn painful......you feel almost like an electrical shock run down your legs, but it's pretty brief before the medicine kicks in!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 12:39 PM on May. 8, 2009