Triamenic strips

A friend suggested I buy some triamenic strips for coughs and give my son a tiny tiny piece of it b/c he is coughing so hard that he is throwing up. Has any one ever done this, and does it help? He is only 4 months and I know your not suppose to give them anything til they are older, but he is so sick. I have and still am doing vicks rub, vicks bath time, saline and using the nasal sucker and cool mist humidifier. He sounds terrible and is so miserable right now.

leann74016

Asked by leann74016 at 12:21 PM on May. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• it sounds like he could have bronchitis. have you taken him to a doctor? they can give him a rx for the cough.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 12:22 PM on May. 8, 2009

• oh yeah do not give him the strips. not good. my doctor said that is a no-no in children under 4 years old
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 12:23 PM on May. 8, 2009

• It might be, he has had bronchitis once already. :(
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 12:24 PM on May. 8, 2009

• No, that's why they don't sell anything for babies under 2 years old...and by tearing off a tiny piece you don't know how much medication he is actually getting...I know it sucks but it's better to be safe than sorry....Triaminic makes a vapor fan that helped my DD when she was sick. I really wouldn't give him anything.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 12:29 PM on May. 8, 2009

• my son got sick his first time at 3 months and they keep telling me bronchitis my son is now 2 1/2 has had bronchitis 15 times he just got it again a week ago and RSV 3 time and a pnmonuia (idk how to spell it) once and when he was 1 they said he has baby astama and he still has it...dont give him over the counter crap take him to the doc
    Lacrisha

Answer by Lacrisha at 12:30 PM on May. 8, 2009

• You need to take your child to the doctor. I don't mean to sound rude, but asking a bunch of women online if it's ok to break off a piece of medicine and give it to your young infant could be dangerous. Go to the doc.
    Anonymous

• Even if it was okay to do, how do you know you're breaking off the right size piece? Too little will do no good, too much could hurt him. Either way....giving over the counter medicines to an infant without the guidance of someone with a pediatric medical license is dangerous.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:03 PM on May. 8, 2009

• if it's a barking cough, it's probably croups, and you will need to talk to your doctor, they may give him steroids to help with his cold. Either way, NO on the strips. Take the baby into the doctors, and they can help diagnosis and medicate with the PROPER dosage and medicine.

xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 2:08 PM on May. 8, 2009

• No, no, no! Take him to the doctor. There were two reasons these medicines were pulled off the market - no one had ever tested them on babies so no one knows the long term effect or even if they work AND many parents ended up overdosing their child and kids died because of it.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:45 PM on May. 8, 2009

• Thank you for posting everyone. Just an update. I took him to the doctor and he has pneumonia. Made my heart sink to the bottom of my stomach when I got the news. But he is doing okay today. Still wheezing really bad though. He is on albuterol and antibiotics.
    leann74016

Answer by leann74016 at 12:23 AM on May. 10, 2009