if i have to leave out of town for a week or 3 days and have a newborn, would my milk get dry without breastfeeding during that time? i can't take my baby with me it is an emergency trip

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:36 PM on May. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes, you'll begin to dry up. You should by a travel breast pump to take along with you.
    Anonymous

• *buy
    Anonymous

• get a pump and if its just a stupid hand one it will help u need to pump as much as ur baby eats or u will dry up
    Anonymous

• Anonymous

• Get a pump and pump your breasts at the time she would normally eat
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:43 PM on May. 8, 2009

• Yes, you need to get a pump and start pumping as soon as LO is born so LO can have pumped milk in a bottle while you are gone and also pump while you are out of town. You really should not leave a baby until your milk supply is well established which is around 4-8 weeks because the pump does not work nearly as efficiently as the baby and you risk not ever having enough supply if you mess with it at first.
    aeneva

Answer by aeneva at 12:47 PM on May. 8, 2009

• I would recommend pumping, but my doctor pointed out that some mom's can feed their children because they are in ICU but then feed them when they are out. A few day is probably OK. It took about 2 weeks for me to really dry up and fi I had started feeding again before that time Iw ould have started producing again. But I would recommend getting the pump and saving the milk. That way you have some saved up for when you get back
    Anonymous

• Make sure that you pump about every time your lil one would eat and that should help. I agree with the person above.
    MyLove

Answer by MyLove at 12:53 PM on May. 8, 2009

• Pump as much as possible when your gone.  Even if you think you're dry when you get back, you can still get it back.  You may have a low supply issue the first day or so, just don't supplement & plan on doing nothing but keeping the baby latched for 2 days after your return. She may be fussy if its not coming as fast as she's used to, but you never go completely empty when she's eating. She can get your supply right back up, just don't give her a bottle on your return. And don't take this the wrong way, but that is some hell of a emergency to leave your newborn.

carlye828

Answer by carlye828 at 1:36 PM on May. 8, 2009

• look your baby will be feed formula during that time which will cause u trouble when u breast feed him back cause of two reasons ..1st is the taste of z formula differes from yours and 2nd is he will not make much effort of sucking z bottle than he make when nursing him...so my advice is to select abottle nipple similar to breast with a so narrow hole and to choose amilk formula free from sugar and taste almost same of mother milk
    nonaakliken

Answer by nonaakliken at 2:06 PM on May. 8, 2009