My 17 month old daughter is starting to have tantrums before bed wanting tv. When she wakes up in the middle of the night she will have tantrums wanting tv or juice, milk. We don't give in but she won't stop crying for hours then she is up by 7am. I don't know what we are doing wrong.

Oh she does sleep with us still on our bed. She has never had a steady sleep schedule.

yadi79

Asked by yadi79 at 12:37 PM on May. 8, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well first off, you have to get her on a sleep schedual and get her out of your bed, it won't be easy. You have what I like to call a "High Spirited" child, trust me, I have one too. We never had sleep issues, we got her on a schedul as an infant, BUT when she was awake...Good GOD, she was a terror lol. It takes lots of gentle consistancy, and maybe a bottle of your favorite spirit chilling in the freezer for emergencies LOL. Best of luck hun, I do feel for ya. If it's any hope, my daughter is now 10 and is just a dream, granted she still keeps things interesting for us, but so much fun. There IS hope lol
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 12:42 PM on May. 8, 2009

• I agree with Zaksmommy, get her out of your bed and onto a regular schedule. Ignoring the tantrums and not giving is in definitely the right strategy but it would work better if she wasn't screaming in your ears! While you're working getting her into her own bed and on a schedule, make sure you establish a good night time routine. That may include a little TV if that works for you. We try to read to our 2 yr old before bedtime but that doesn't always work. Sometimes giving him 15 minutes of a PBS show (we record a few episodes of his favorite show to have on hand) works just fine for settling him before bed. Admittedly, we also have always had him on a schedule and in his own room since he was very young. We've had bumpy periods along the way but sticking to his schedule/routine helps. Good luck!
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 1:07 PM on May. 8, 2009

• i don't allow my daughter to watch tv. i do get on the computer and show her videos of learning tools like abc's, numbers, colors (in different languages).. 10-30 minutes at a time than on to another thing.

as for the juice.. just give a little and put back in bed. start a routine with her.. bath, reading, lights out.. for my daughter, once she sees the humidifyer go on, she knows it's bedtime. try it. routine is key.

ps.. don't let her watch tv all day. if my daughter who is 18 months.. gets up wanting milk or juice.. i give it to her.. she may be hungry.. make it easy upon yourself too..
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 1:41 PM on May. 8, 2009

• tv is fine in moderations, but before bedtime can keep the mind alert while they are sleeping, causing light sleep, which leads to not enough sleep, which leads to tantrums. So an hour to two hours before bed, shut the tv off, and start a bedtime routine. Start by giving her a bath (helps relax them), then put on the pjs, and lay them in bed. Replace TV with animating your hands while reading a book. This helps keep her attracted to you, and settled down, while eliminated the problem of what tvs can do this late at night. This should help with all of the above problems although it may take up to a week before she settles into the schedule, so be patient and keep trying.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 2:27 PM on May. 8, 2009

• Stick to your guns and NEVER give in to her tantrums! She will stop eventually! A sleep schedule will be helpful, but it really doesn't matter if it is in your bed or her own bed. Either way you can establish a routine and a schedule. Bath, get jammies on, brush teeth, read books, rock and sing etc. At this age my kids always got a bath every night more for routine than because they were actually dirty. then we would get jammies on, read books, and I would rock them in the rocking chair and sing to them (in the dark) for about 15 minutes. I still nursed them to sleep until into their 2nd year while rocking, and then dropped that part of the routine as they got older.

I suggest that the TV gets "broken" for a week or two. If she is not getting any, she will stop asking for it. I find my kids are much better behaved when there is no TV, or it is only for special occasions (we started "Saturday Night Movie Night")
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 2:51 PM on May. 8, 2009

• BTW don't have TV as any part of your bedtime routine! Many studies show that TV before bed causes less sound sleep. No TV after dinner is best. The AAP says no TV before 2 yrs old.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 2:52 PM on May. 8, 2009