Army or Marines?

Many of ya'll know that my hubby is a Marine Grunt whose done 2 tours in Iraq, well it looks like staying out is no longer an option for our family of 7 in this economy. We've not called the recruiters yet to see whose offering what or whatever, but that's not my concern. My concern is what's the difference between the branches as far as dependent life goes? What can I expect to be different then the Marines if he decides to go Army?

BlueCollarMama

Asked by BlueCollarMama at 12:45 PM on May. 8, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I was an army brat, and am now a Navy wife. the biggest difference in those two, is communication. HOWEVER my hubby is also on subs, soo that makes communication A LOT different. there really is no difference in medical care(it still sucks and you still spend 20 hours in the ER:)) housing(still sucks) or pay. the only real difference is how they focus on the family. and even that varies withing the same branch depending on the command.
    Anonymous

• the most family oriented is the AF.
    Anonymous

• My hubby is in the Navy, and while the communication isnt as good as some of the Army wives get, we still have it pretty good. I get emails daily and phone calls weekly. With the army vs marines, i really dont know. I know that the marines usually do shorter tours than the army does.
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 1:28 PM on May. 8, 2009

• Air Force. You and him should really look into it.
    JackalsWife

Answer by JackalsWife at 1:31 PM on May. 8, 2009

• I will preface this by saying I don't know much about the Marines but I've been an Army SO for the last 8 years and a wife for nearly 5.

I know the AF is making it much more difficult to get in and he might not be able to retain his rank. Plus, if he like being a grunt, the army is comparable.

I would think that most things like housing, medical would be about the same. I know the Army is updating their housing or just has a lot of new housing. We live on Ft Campbell, KY and it is very nice. Our neighborhood is quiet and our house is nice and in good condition. We live in Junior NCO housing, and a couple of our new neighbors are E-4 with all of this rennovation being done to E-1 to-E-4 housing.

Our FRG's have been great, we have a lot of support during deployments. As far as stuff to do, the major Army posts have SO much for families to do. I am very pleased with Campbell and I will be sad to leave it
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 1:39 PM on May. 8, 2009

• Air Force. They really do take care of families.
    Lindalu2

Answer by Lindalu2 at 1:40 PM on May. 8, 2009

• I will say that the Army's deployments are longer. The standard deployment is 12 months for the Army and 7 months for the Marines and the Army got their standard deployments extended to 15 months in 2007 to August 2008. They are now back to 12 months. My cousin's husband, who is a Marine, went and came back and had left again before my husband came home from his 15 month deployment. The upside was that every month or partial month that they spend over 365 days, whether they have orders for it or not, receive an extra $1,000 on top of the normal deployment pays. We had a very nice Christmas this year, because of that.
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 1:43 PM on May. 8, 2009

• We knew a guy who went Army, the got out and came back to Marines. Once you're one of them, nothing compares. They are more lax with dress code & just how they carry themselves. It drove him nuts to deal with all the differences. It's hard to be the only one squared away all the time. lol As far as family, I think the Key Wives are more connected and you get better help pre & during deployments. You already know what to expect out of Marine Corp life, I would feel more comfortable going back to that & the lifestyle than anything else. Good luck.
    RugersMommy06

Answer by RugersMommy06 at 2:02 PM on May. 8, 2009

• We've been on two Army posts since my husband enlisted and he would never be able to join the Army. Too sloppy for him.
    asaffell

Answer by asaffell at 3:30 PM on May. 8, 2009

• nothing compares? thats your personal opinion,and mine is that the Army is the way to go. IF he was already in Marines and apparently if they are asking this,arent satisfied,there you have it. The biggest issue is the deployment time-Army has the most.
    Anonymous