• In the Spotlight:

How do you feel about your tax dollars paying $400,000.00 to study "gay sex" in Argentina?

The US has given the National Institute of Health this money to try and figure out why drunk gay men participate in in risky sexual behavior.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/05/08/government-funds-study-gay-sex-argentina-bars/

You can also find info about this on the NIH site.

Personally, I think this kind of waste is disgusting. We have hungry people in this country that this money could have bought food for.

***This is NOT about OBAMA, is is about irresponsible spending by Democrats and Republicans.***

yourspecialkid

Asked by yourspecialkid at 12:46 PM on May. 8, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 12:52 PM on May. 8, 2009

• you know what, after the Winnie the pooh study i really stopped caring, because no matter what we think these people are going to get paid large sums of money to do really unnecessary "studies" and yes it will be our tax dollars. just like the banks that asked for yet another BILLION dollar amount.
    i cant find the link to the Winnie the pooh study, it was in 2001-2002 and it basically spent a couple million to see which of the characters needed anti-depressants and anti-psychotic drugs.
    katie_s1

Answer by katie_s1 at 12:53 PM on May. 8, 2009

• Wow, I can't understand why we would pay to study gay sex anywhere. Why study it? What can be gained by this knowledge?  I am feeling a little naive.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 1:00 PM on May. 8, 2009

• Here, let me help. Alcohol lowers inhibitions in most people, including those who are gay. Risky behavior happens with MOST people who get drunk. Getting drunk is risky behavior in and of itself. What is there to study?
    Anonymous

• You're right about this not being about Obama. It's also not about Congress. Our representatives in gov't had nothing to do with this. This is a grant given by the NIH to a researcher to conduct a study. If the researcher was able to secure this funding from the NIH to do this research, they must have decided that the study's results will lead to a solution for a public health issue in the US. If you read the abstract you'll see that this study is about finding more effective ways to prevent HIV transmission among a high-risk population, and I have no problem with that.

and here's a link to that winnie the pooh study (it was not a government funded study by the way, it was something a group of Canadian pediatricians decided to do for fun) but it is funny: http://www.cmaj.ca/cgi/content/full/163/12/1557
    asyoulikeit

Answer by asyoulikeit at 1:17 PM on May. 8, 2009

• Its another way to line someone's pockets with tax dollars.
    abbynzachsmommy

Answer by abbynzachsmommy at 1:25 PM on May. 8, 2009

• well then let's see don't have butt sex or kind of sex without condoms.Might want to think about not sleeping with just anyone on the drop of a hat either.This stuff is ridiculous.
    Anonymous

• LOL! I read the WInnie the Pooh one! It was pretty funny.
    Anonymous

• As someone who is pro-gay rights, I have to say that this is a completely ridiculous study. I get so tired of wasteful government spending.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 1:51 PM on May. 8, 2009

• Homosexuals don't tend to have sex with people of different genders. End of study. To bring it further, don't have sex with strangers, share needles, or allow yourself exposed to contagious body fluids (which includes ear wax btw...) and don't get aids gay or straight.

Where's my reasearch money?
    dharmas_mommy

Answer by dharmas_mommy at 1:55 PM on May. 8, 2009