• In the Spotlight:

pell grant

i applied for as many grants/scholarships as i could get becasue whatever i dont use out of the money my parents have put away, when i graduate, i get it ( and it will make a very nice down payment on a house!)..i was approved for the Pell Grant. I start classes next month. it says i was approved for 2834 for the summer term. my classes are only costing 864. of course i still have to get my books from that too. i was told that whatever was left after buying your books and paying your tuition from your pell grant, your school will give you a check for the rest because the government sees it as money for rent/food, ect. is that true or do you just get what you need for books and tuition? just wondering what to expect!

mosley12

Asked by mosley12 at 1:09 PM on May. 8, 2009 in Money & Work

• http://www.ed.gov/programs/fpg/index.html

It's true. See the last paragraph.
    Anonymous

• I always kept my extra money.
    ktnbags

Answer by ktnbags at 6:08 PM on May. 8, 2009

• That's NOT TRUE! Not with a Pell Grant. A Pell Grant goes for school only. I think there is a chance that it might cover books, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't. Subsidized and unsubsidized student loans can be used for rent, etc, but not Pell Grants.

Also if you aren't taking more than 6 credits you don't get it. And if you are only taking 6 credits you get half the amount since it is only half time. KWIM? Call the financial aid office if you have more questions.

*I'm in college too :D
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 9:20 PM on May. 8, 2009

• You get whatever is left over. A Pell Grant does not just pay for college and books, it also is meant to help pay for your living expenses if there is some left over. I know this for a fact because I help my clients apply for grants to go to college and I work with the University here on a regular basis.

Magpie75

Answer by Magpie75 at 10:33 PM on May. 8, 2009