I've read about dying your hair when pregnant but has anyone really done it an everything come out fine?

amazingD

Asked by amazingD at 1:11 PM on May. 8, 2009 in Beauty & Style

• i usually frost my hair. but i did not do it because my doctor told me that the chemicals in hair dye and frosting kits get into your blood stream and can harm the baby. even the ones that say ammonia free. there are still other chemicals that can harm a baby. i just waited until after I gave birth and did it. I would ask your doctor and see what he thinks. but i would not do it.
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 1:15 PM on May. 8, 2009

• I did and my daughter was perfect. They say no BLEACH as its strong and does not come in ammonia free kits yet. YOu can dye your hair just not all the time and try to avoid using ones with ammonia, I know the more expensive brands don't use it.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 1:15 PM on May. 8, 2009

• I asked my doc and he said that it was fine as long as you are in a well ventalated room. I had my hair dyed while pregnant, and my son is as healthy as can be.
    NAT24ROXY24

Answer by NAT24ROXY24 at 1:16 PM on May. 8, 2009

• Yep.  I colored my hair throughout my pregnancy and everything was fine.  My OB at the time said it was okay to do, and she was also pregnant and said that she was coloring her hair too.

CookieMom108

Answer by CookieMom108 at 1:16 PM on May. 8, 2009

• I did, I asked my doctor first and she said not to worry about it. And my son is just fine~
    jasesmommy0529

Answer by jasesmommy0529 at 1:16 PM on May. 8, 2009

• My doc said it was fine just to be in a ventilated area. I do have my hair highlighted and thats with bleach and Im 27 weeks almost 28. And as far as I know baby is ok. Tests come out fine and ultra sounds look good. But my doc never said I couldnt.
    Nikky0803PAG

Answer by Nikky0803PAG at 2:05 PM on May. 8, 2009

• I did every two or three weeks the entire pregnancy and my daughter was totally fine.
    peppermintmocha

Answer by peppermintmocha at 2:07 PM on May. 8, 2009

• The problem in years past with dye during pregnancy was that lots of companies used coal tar in their dye which is bad during pregnancy. Now hardly anyone does! Just make sure that coal tar isn't an ingredient, that the room is well ventilated and you should be fine. Keep in mind though that a lot of women do experience hair loss after pregnancy due to hormonal flux so going blonde right before the baby is born might be a bad idea and add to the problem. Stay with a color close to your own hair tone or darker. Good luck!
    usbornebooksdh

Answer by usbornebooksdh at 8:01 PM on May. 8, 2009

• you're fine to dye your hair, that's an old rule. just do it in a well ventalated area
    mandielynn23

Answer by mandielynn23 at 12:21 AM on May. 9, 2009