Breastfeeding

Where did you get your information about breastfeeding? Was it a book? Friend? Internet? I am looking to get information so I can make decisions of my own and not sure if a book will help or not.

kristinmj

Asked by kristinmj at 1:23 PM on May. 8, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Join a Breast feeding group or go to your local health clinic most have breastfeeding tips and even classes. If they don't have them they will be able to tell you where to get the info.
    heather.darin

Answer by heather.darin at 1:25 PM on May. 8, 2009

• Family, books, online, I looked every where before I had my dd just so I would know more about it when the time came. If you google it you will probably find alot of info.
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 1:26 PM on May. 8, 2009

• I talked to my friends and family who had babies and got their take on breast compared to bottle and to me it was just a choice my husband and I made as neither one of us wanted our daughter on breast milk. Talk to people you know, read all the information you can about it and decide. Try it and if you don't like it then switch to bottles. I tried and hated it so it was short lived on my end.
    brailynsmama08

Answer by brailynsmama08 at 1:27 PM on May. 8, 2009

• i always knew I wanted to breastfeed my child! I got my first info from the "what to expect when you're expecting book" which has general info on it, then I researched on the La Leche League website, and joined a breastfeeding group on cafemom. you should contact the hospital! they offer free breastfeeding classes and usually have an LC on call who can call you! after the baby, some even make house calls!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 1:28 PM on May. 8, 2009

• I took a class our local hospital offered free. Check with your OB you may have options for classes.
    Nikky0803PAG

Answer by Nikky0803PAG at 1:46 PM on May. 8, 2009

• theres a book my friend swears by called 'the nursing mothers companion' or something along tohse lines. honestly the best thing that worked for me is at the hospital they have free lactation consultants and they will help you even after the baby is born to show you how to do it. if youre just interested in whats safe to do or eat while nursing, or the comparison in health benefits of breastfeeding or formula, the le leche leage has a great website and they have people all over the place so try googling that. good luck!
    disheveled

Answer by disheveled at 1:56 PM on May. 8, 2009

• Well, I wouldn't talk to anyone who formula fed lol.. personally. all my family were formula feeders and their excuses were selfish. no valid reasons for choosing formula.

I knew I wanted to breastfeed. "The womanly art of breastfeeding" and "the breastfeeding book" were two books that were very helpful, it answered a lot of questions.

You can talk to the lactation consultant at the hospital, or even go to a local Le Leche League meeting. You can go to the website too.

www.kellymom.com is also a great source of breastfeeding information: including the benefits.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 2:05 PM on May. 8, 2009

• This is a great site for information.

http://www.llli.org/
    spbeta

Answer by spbeta at 3:37 PM on May. 8, 2009

• www.kellymom.org
    www.llli.org
    Dr. Sears website or books
    "The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding" (available through la leche league at the second website I listed or at a local meeting which you can also find through the website).
    Also, the AAP. Their guidelines say that breastfeeding is the optimal nutrition for infants and that they should be exclusively breastfed for 6 months before introducing solids, then for at least a year or as long as mutually desired there after. That sealed the deal for me, there was basically no accurate, logical information that said otherwise: breast was the best choice for my baby.
    NoNonsenseMama

Answer by NoNonsenseMama at 6:58 PM on May. 8, 2009