Do you buy organic foods? If so, why or why not?

Just trying to see the different opinions on the matter. I buy organic in some fruits and vegetables because of the amounts of pesticides used (300lb of pesticide per acre per year on strawberries!), and also organic milk and "natural" meats with no added hormones or antibiotics. But there are some things I dont buy organic because of the availability, or even the necessity of doing so. I don't buy organic bananas, oranges, melons, etc because you do peel those before you eat them. What about you all?

AprilDJC

Asked by AprilDJC at 1:37 PM on May. 8, 2009 in Just for Fun

• yes i try to stick with organic, especially if the price difference isnt too high! I always get non-hormonal milk, organic/cage free eggs, and organic fruits and veggies. but I've noticed some org. fruits/veggies get bad quicker, so i either buy a small portion or just get the bigger bulk which arent organic since they last a little longer. I do on occasion get organic meats, but usually stick with local meat
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 1:42 PM on May. 8, 2009

• I don't buy organic anything. We do grow some of our own fruits and veggies in the summer though.
    dharmas_mommy

Answer by dharmas_mommy at 1:39 PM on May. 8, 2009

• I mainly shop at the commissary and I haven't see a lot of organic fresh fruits and vegetables. I plan on looking next week when we go. I do however buy organic canned vegetables and sauces. I need to look for more organic things. I wish I knew of a place to get organic natural meat. I've tried organic milk and didn't like it. For some reason it tasted funky to me!!
    AnnHenderson

Answer by AnnHenderson at 1:39 PM on May. 8, 2009

• dharmas_mommy, we are growing some container vegetables too this year, we have tomatoes, cucumbers, mint, peppers. We are a military family, also and shop primarily at the commissary but I have also found a wonderful produce market that sells a lot more organic fruits and vegetables as well as locally grown fruits and vegetables so I rarely get my produce from the commissary any more since its usually imported and not at its peak for flavor. I buy the organic milk because I have a young daughter, and all the added hormones and stuff have been shown to contribute to puberty at earlier ages as well as possible increased risk for some cancers. The eggs are difficult to force myself to buy organic but I do it when I can afford to. The organic fruits and veg do seem to go bad quicker, so I have started shopping for them every 3-4 days instead of weekly. That seems to help.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 1:45 PM on May. 8, 2009

• i try to buy organic. if i can. i buy organic eggs for hubby but for some reason I don't like them. LOL. if you buy fruits that are not organic or veggies..wash them reall well . use a brush and vinegar. that will take off alot of the pesticide. I went to a store the other day and it said it's fruits and veggies were organic then when i aske the cashier, she said not all of it..but i knew that just by the size of things.. organic food looks totally different in size alot.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 1:51 PM on May. 8, 2009

• sometimes, because I do recognize the health benifits, but buying organic is a little hard on the budget, so usually its is things like milk, and eggs, and some fruits that have a higher known pesticide absorbtion like strawberries.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 2:09 PM on May. 8, 2009

• The real question is ~ is it truly organic? How do you know for sure? How much research have you done on the particular product you are buying. Just because the label says it is doesn't mean it's true. I know for fact a certain raisin producer gets their non organic and organic grapes off the SAME vine. I know what I grow is organic and I know my hens are laying organic eggs. I also know my cost is so minimal I cannot justify buying the over priced store rendition of "organic."
    Anonymous

• In the summer we grow our own veggies, and we by local organic fruit. I don't do organic meat because I have just never tried it. Milk I am really funny about the taste so I stick with regulare skim milk.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 3:09 PM on May. 8, 2009

• My organic veggies and fruit are all USDA certified organic, which is what you should look for to make sure you are buying true organic
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 4:13 PM on May. 8, 2009