How soon would you put a child on the top of a bunk bed?

I'm wondering what a good age would be to put a child on the top bunk.My kids are close in age and they like to sleep in the same room together. When they get the appropriate age I would like to get them bunk beds.I have no idea when it would be safe to put my oldest at the top.

zackaroosmom

Asked by zackaroosmom at 1:44 PM on May. 8, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I want to do this too. My little ones are 4 and 2. It would save so much room. But i'm going to wait until my oldest is 6.
    Iluvmygirlies42

Answer by Iluvmygirlies42 at 1:48 PM on May. 8, 2009

• i would put a rail on the side of the bed on the top bunk cause i was the oldest when i was growing up and we had a bunk bed so of course of me being the oldest i got to sleep on the top and i fell of the bunk until i was like 9
    mommy5409

Answer by mommy5409 at 1:51 PM on May. 8, 2009

• I just bought a set for my two youngest ones wed., my kids are 9 and 7, I used to sleep on the top bunk too and fell many times but never got hurt LOL,,, when we are the store I made my oldest climb up and down several times to make sure she liked it and would not be scared, last night they slept in them without a problem.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 2:05 PM on May. 8, 2009

• I guess my oldest was about 6 when I let her start sleeping on the top bunk. I think it depends more on the child's coordination and balance than any certain "age".  My friends daughter is 7 and is very clumsy. I won't let her sleep in the top bunk when she comes to visit because I don't trust her to get down the ladder ok. My 4 year old on the other hand is an old pro at climbing up and down... But, he has his own room so he doesn't sleep in the bunk bed.

VeronicaLee

Answer by VeronicaLee at 2:14 PM on May. 8, 2009

• Well, all bunk beds come with rails for the top bunk now so that's not a large concern. My bigger concern is a young child going up and down the ladder in the dark, while half asleep, to get to the potty or to get mommy. So as VeronicaLee says, it's really dependent on the child. I'm planning on getting a loft bed (a bunk bed with no lower bunk) for my daughter when she is older - I'm thinking about 6. We'll see when we get there!
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:43 PM on May. 8, 2009

• Well my son is only 3 right now. We were walking through a furniture store the other day and I feel in love with one that had a slide to get down.I think it would be a few years down the road before we got one.
    zackaroosmom

Answer by zackaroosmom at 2:49 PM on May. 8, 2009

• My dd has bunk beds in her room... Top is a twin and bottom is a double bed... it depends on her mood as to which bed she sleeps in any given moment. She is 3.5 and she has be preferring the top bunk lately. She does just fine going up and down the steps even in the dark... we have the set that the steps are built into the bed like stairs..not a ladder.
    mcginnisc

Answer by mcginnisc at 3:07 PM on May. 8, 2009

• Wow I should have have read my reply before adding it lol. The bunk bed we saw had built in stairs and on the other end had a slide to get down.I think i'm more worried about my younger son trying to get up there and falling off, though.
    zackaroosmom

Answer by zackaroosmom at 3:39 PM on May. 8, 2009

• It totally depends on the individual kid!! My 5 year old has been in the top bunk since he was 4...but my current 3 year old has a LONG way to go before I'd trust him in the top bunk.

We have a set with stairs on the end. It's nice having the stairs and not the ladder, but sucks because they can't be separated into two beds. It's also 8 foot long instead of 6 foot long!
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:06 PM on May. 8, 2009

• my son was about 3 I just made sure he could get up and down safely. it also had a rail so he didnt roll out
    IMAMOM2-2KIDS

Answer by IMAMOM2-2KIDS at 3:35 AM on May. 9, 2009