when can you start giving your child a sippy cup?

cindyodopson

Asked by cindyodopson at 1:46 PM on May. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• when your baby is sitting up with little to no help, and able to hold their bottle on their own. My DD started on them at 6 months old. They should be off the bottle when they are a year old, although it's not a MUST. They tell you it's to help avoid future dental problems. Nuby IMO has the best set up. They have a bottle that has alternate tops. a nipple, to a soft sippy (easier for babies to transition imo), to a sports like nipple (helps them learn to suck from straws). then when they are over a year you can try to get them on the nuby straws, which is better than sippys.

xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 2:11 PM on May. 8, 2009

• Whenever you think they are ready, it won't hurt them you know.
    Liz132

Answer by Liz132 at 1:48 PM on May. 8, 2009

• as soon as six months. I started the practicing stage with my son at six months but he didnt get it until about a year. Just hand it to your baby and if they dont show interest try another day and continue this process until they like it...just put a tad of water in the sippy enough for the to get and that is all. I recommend the soft spout sippys.
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 1:49 PM on May. 8, 2009

• immediately after birth.
    Anonymous

• ...ridiculous...
    cindyodopson

Answer by cindyodopson at 1:56 PM on May. 8, 2009

• I started giving dd a sippy when she was 9 months old, then after I knew she had it down pat I removed the bottle completely at 11 months so she had no choice but to use it. I got the ones with the straws in them and the soft 'sucky part'. I wanted her to get used to drinking from a straw so it would be easier to transition her to a big girls cup after that.
    mommabear2008

Answer by mommabear2008 at 2:02 PM on May. 8, 2009

• Usually around 6 months when you start giving them solids.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 2:46 PM on May. 8, 2009

• You can actually start a sippy from birth. We gave our son one at 9 month when he decided it was better than the bottle.
    sk_tennyson

Answer by sk_tennyson at 3:52 PM on May. 8, 2009

• When you feel they are ready and can handle one.

All three of mine were on a sippy at 6 months.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 3:57 PM on May. 8, 2009

• We started the water habit with a sippy at around 8 months; it took awhile for her to get the hang of it.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:59 PM on May. 8, 2009