Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need help with getting a grant or loan...

I need to get a grant or loan for $2000 for school. I've looked everywhere and everyone I find either doesn't have my school or isn't enough money. I need the money for CareerStep to do Medical Transcription. I tried the SallieMae loan but my credit is too bad and I can't find anyone to co-sign with. So since my credit is bad I tried looking for grants and stuff for moms but no luck. Anything you ladies can give me would be great! Thank you!!

Answer Question

Asked by oxojen178oxo at 2:10 PM on May. 8, 2009 in Money & Work

Level 3 (24 Credits)
Answers (5)
  • Does the school have a financial aid office to help? Have you done a FAFSA online to see if you qualify for federal loans?

    Answer by ryras_mommy at 2:52 PM on May. 8, 2009

  • No they discontinued their financial aid program...and I did try the FAFSA but it doesn't list CareerStep and wouldn't let me continue so I emailed them twice and I got nothing. :-(

    Answer by oxojen178oxo at 3:09 PM on May. 8, 2009

  • Maybe you should find a school that does accept financial aid. You're only going to get federal financial aid for school if you are going to a "real" school (I'm not trying to bash CareerStep---I have no idea what it is).

    Answer by evwsquared at 3:21 PM on May. 8, 2009

  • Yeah I know but I really want to do CareerStep its the best school for Medical Transcription and you can do the school online and at home which is why I need to do it through CareerStep. I just wish I could get a co-signer for that SallieMae site because the loan payments are $30 a month which is amazing!!

    Answer by oxojen178oxo at 4:14 PM on May. 8, 2009

  • Did you contact the financial aid office at your college? You can also try

    Answer by rkoloms at 11:30 PM on May. 8, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.