My dd is 3 months old when can i start giving her juices ? or baby food ?

cindyodopson

Asked by cindyodopson at 2:14 PM on May. 8, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Juices, never! Unless there are medical reasons, most nutritionists recommend starting solids at 6 months. Remember, solids before baby's first birthday are for the experience of eating, not nutrition; nutrition continues to come from breastmilk or formula . You need to avoid the allergy trigger foods. This is not a complete list, but before baby's 2nd birthday, no nuts or honey; before babies first birthday no wheat, dairy, soy, citrus, strawberries, egg white.
    Great first solids are mashed avocado, baked and mashed sweet potato, cooked and mashed beans. Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron is a wonderful book on feeding babies, toddlers and their families; you should be able to find it at your local library; more information at www.superbabyfood.com. Enjoy your little one!

Answer by rkoloms at 6:57 PM on May. 8, 2009

• I think my son started baby food at 6 months
    NicholeAT

Answer by NicholeAT at 2:15 PM on May. 8, 2009

• I started at 5 months but when you start juice, water it down. Maybe only a quarter juice and the rest water. I started solids around 5-6 months. Start slow with small amounts once a day and only one kind at a time.
    crystaleve29

Answer by crystaleve29 at 2:22 PM on May. 8, 2009

• I started my son on baby food sometimes around 4 months but juice is not really reccomended until I think like 6 months
    djanowski775

Answer by djanowski775 at 2:23 PM on May. 8, 2009

• Listen to the health experts and the research, not what other moms did. Virtually all health organizations say nothing but breastmilk or formula for the first 6 months.
    Unfortunately, many health care providers are not up to date in what they're telling parents, and many, many books are not up to date.

Based on recent research, the AAP and other health organizations recommend that all babies be exclusively breastfed (no cereal, juice or any other foods) for the first 6 months of life (NOT the first 4-6 months).

http://kellymom.com/nutrition/solids/delay-solids.html
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 2:44 PM on May. 8, 2009

• I agree with maggiemom... talk to your doctor about it, not us.

Keep in mind that baby food is not really for nutrition - it's to teach a child to eat off of a spoon, to expose them to new tastes and textrures. Breastmilk or formula is a child's main source of nutrition until nearly 12 months old. It's recommended to hold off until 6 months but it varies a little by child - that's why you need to talk it over with your doctor.

Also, juice is not recommended until 8 or 9 months old and is limited to no more than 4 ounces a day.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 2:57 PM on May. 8, 2009

• They typically say 4-6 months for foods and at least 6 months for juice. Juice isn't necessary at this age, but is a great way to introduce the sippy. Some kids get upset if their milk starts coming form a different place so it hleps transition to a cup easier. Juice should be 100% jucie and water down for baby. It can cuase rashes if baby gets too much. I googled all my info and tried to see what different reliable sites were saying and stayed in the middle ground when introducing foods and juice. If you have any questions, you can also ask your doctor.
    Anonymous

• you know try to get her off the juice ...it has a lot of sugar and just her teeth might get a little stained..its hard but you can do it.
    brisa1984

Answer by brisa1984 at 3:25 PM on May. 8, 2009

• It is between you and your childs doctor. What the AAP and other organizations say are RECOMMENDATONS. I started my son on cereal at 2 weeks, baby food at 1 month, juice from birth and he was on tablefood and 2% milk at 8 months, he is healthy and happy. YOU are the parent and YOU get to decide what is best for YOUR baby. All you can do is read what others do, talk to your doctor and make your own decision.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:02 PM on May. 8, 2009

• Babies don't need anything but breastmilk until they're at least 5 months old. They get everything they need from their mom.
    Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 8:44 PM on May. 8, 2009