Would you send your kids....

If your day-care provider brought in a male employee would that be ok with you? Would you enroll your child if the male was already there? What if it was a home day-care?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:17 PM on May. 8, 2009 in Just for Fun

• It wouldn't bother me at all. I would want a copy of their background check same as with every other employee who has contact with my child. BTW our favorite, most reliable sitter for when we go out is a 17 yr old young man. He is never late, he doesn't sit on the phone. He actually plays games with the kids. He eats only the snacks I leave out for him/them. He always is able to tell me who went to bed when. Our track record with young ladies is awful. One went through our nightstand drawers (nanny cams are wonderful), another sat on the phone with her boyfriend while the kids tore the house apart and a third fell asleep around 8pm. My grandson fell and busted his mouth and was crying so hard our neighbor came over and banged on the door to wake her up. So no, I don't have any hang ups about guys working with kids.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:31 PM on May. 8, 2009

• I would want to meet with him first, I don't think there is a problem with a male teacher/ watcher as long as he has the skills and patients for the kids
    NicholeAT

Answer by NicholeAT at 2:18 PM on May. 8, 2009

• The daycare I worked at had a male teacher and my son absolutely loved him, as did most of the kids. I think it was great for them to see a male in a postive light. Nurturing and not just as a work then come home dad.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:24 PM on May. 8, 2009

• Not all child molesters are men. I have a feeling that is the root of this particular question.
    Anonymous

• It depends on the guy, if I get a creepy vibe then no- but that even goes with girls. Otherwise I wouldn't see a problem unless I heard that he likes to touch kids inappropriately or something. heh.
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 2:38 PM on May. 8, 2009

• When I worked in a day care we had two male employee's, education students at the University. I thought they were great and never had a parent complain.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 2:59 PM on May. 8, 2009

• my husband is a preschool teacher! he is great with the kids. a few parents were concerned when he started but they soon felt comfortable. many kids need more males in their life. besides... men are not the only ones that can do harm to your child. shouldnt we be just as protective around women?
    bettylou420

Answer by bettylou420 at 3:01 PM on May. 8, 2009

• Child care workers have to pass an extensive back ground check in order to be licenced so whether they are male or female isn't really and issue. Plus, for boys, it's good to see a man in a typically female role just as it's beneficial for girls to see women in typically male roles.

"Mannies" are also becoming popular for younger boys as well. Especially for boys who's moms are single it's good to have a consistent male role model.
    paganmom05

Answer by paganmom05 at 3:02 PM on May. 8, 2009

• wow why not ? any reputable day care is going to screen the help If not I would not send my kid there
    My sons day care had a wonderful male teacher he was better with the kids than the whole lot of females
    CSRodriguez

Answer by CSRodriguez at 3:06 PM on May. 8, 2009

• See I don't know. I think I'd be more concerened with a home day care just cuz there are bedrooms lol? I don't know if that's a viable excuse but it's what crosses my mind. I think I'd have to get to know him first. And I know that's a double standard or sexist or whatever but...it's just the way it is.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 3:22 PM on May. 8, 2009