Hi there! I hope someone can help me. I can't figure out how to potty train my little boy. I make his dad take him in the bathroom when he (dad) goes. I feel like such an idiot, but I just don't know where to even start. Please help!!!!!!!

How to potty train my little boy.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:28 PM on May. 8, 2009 in General Parenting

• Fruit Loops in the potty. Dual learning. Teach him his colors (ie shoot the yellow one) and make it fun for him to go. It takes time and practice. But don't worry. You're on the right track. A mommy can't teach a little boy how to pee standing up. Now my son tells me I have to learn it so I can be a man! LOL!
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 2:30 PM on May. 8, 2009

• A mommy can teach a boy to pee standing up. I do suggest just getting him to do it siting down at first, then progress to standing. I taught my son and was a single mom with no man in the pict. to show him.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:36 PM on May. 8, 2009

• i never did food in the potty because he thought he was supposed to eat them. even if i tried to tell him you don't eat those. he did not get the concept. my son has been completely potty trained for 3 weeks now. he is 3 years old as of February. I started taking him to the bathroom with me and his dad. after a few weeks he started getting the concept. well finally he told me he had to potty. so i took him a few times and he was going just fine. well he regressed. then i finally told him he could not get off the potty until he peed. now he goes every time. i still take him every time i go and he tells me when he has to pee. i also do a sticker chart. when he pees he gets one when he poops he gets two. every morning, he wakes up goes straight to the bathroom, takes his pullup off, throws it away, and pottys all by himself. it takes a lot of patience and consistency. good luck
    2wndrfl_btrflys

Answer by 2wndrfl_btrflys at 2:37 PM on May. 8, 2009

• I potty trained TWO sons while Dad was out to sea both times. I assure Mommys CAN teach boys how to pee standing up. I always taught mine to sit first. Peeing standing up can come later. It also takes more muscle control to pee while standing than sitting. The cheerios or fruit loops or whatever are good tools to teach standing up. I am not a fan of pullups. I put a pair of 'big boy underwear on them and gave them something to drink every 15 mins. I set the timer for every 25 mins. Timer goes off.."It's pe pe time lets go" make it fun. They pee in the potty the get a sticker on a piece of paper. I always had prizes for so many stickers. At first it was for like 5 stickers. I'm taking small prizes. Try not to use food or candy as rewards. We did lots of things from the Dollar Store little balls, colors, books, pencils. I have now potty trained 5 kids and I did it the same way everytime. Only 1 girl in the bunch.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:42 PM on May. 8, 2009

• Fruit loops is an awesome trick!!! Some time helps to teach him sitting down first. Just wake him up put him on the potty, then every couple hours or when you know you recently gave him juice just put him on there. And then when he does go make a HUGE deal about it. Jump up and down and high fives, some parents give some m&m's but that could start something bad. The reason I suggest sitting down is because when there new to this sometimes they don't realize they have to poop and the next thing you know there standing peeing in the potty but you have a bigger mess to clean....lol
    Anonymous

• You didn't tell us how old your son is. Most boys aren't ready until they are near their 3rd birthday. He might be too young?

Anyway, cheerios, fruit loops, anything that floats works. You can go online and buy floating targets to put in your toilet for potty training. I also used the M&M method as a reward. That was the only time they were allowed candy while training.

Good luck!
    Kauna

Answer by Kauna at 3:53 PM on May. 8, 2009